Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thursday 053013

AM – My Running Boss wanted me to do hill repeats today.  With my travel, he said “on the steepest hill you have available.”  I scoped out some options and found what the locals call “Saint Patrick’s Hill.”  It came as we left the restaurant last night and one of the staff here pointed it out.  Apparently there was a bike race here a few years with LA in it, but then according to the locals, he refused to bike the hill. 

From RunninginCork:


5 plus mile warm up and then I got to work.  I did 8 of these, with each repeat being at least 1:30, but never felt like I had the power to push  super hard on these.  In other words, I felt my legs going south being challenged well before I felt challenged from a liung perspective.

image

2 mile cool down after it all.  I could not stop thinking about a scone and a coffee that I’d get afterwards.

Some pix from the John Buckley 5k the other night.  Warm up.

image
The start.  I am actually behind the tree on the right of this shot.

image 
Lap 1:
image

8 comments:

  1. A five mile warmup and hill repeats... that's sadistic. :) Actually it looks like a fun hill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I shave my head, will I become a front runner? :)

    Excellent hill repeats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill - we were in like 80th place at this point.

      Delete
  3. Why such a long "warm up" before a key workout?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really more an aspect "of" the workout.

      Delete
  4. My quotes weren't meant as sarcasm (like yours). They were used because the term "warm up" doesn't really cover the meaning of longer pre-workout runs. For various purposes I used to use longer "warm ups" of 45-60 mins (or even longer) before introducing certain tempo, hill, or cruise intervals when I coached high school kids in xc. I was simply curious whether you had a specific intention for the longer warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, mine were not sarcasm, more to highlight the same thing you are saying.

    ReplyDelete