Up at Lucho’s place, 10.4 miles, with 13 x 1 minute on, 1 minute off uphill (except for one little part). 2.3 mile warm up, then the repeats. Bob led all of em, except the one that started with the little down. As Bob can’t run down hill he let me lead that until it went back up hill. As I can’t run up, he caught me there and then pulled away.
The minutes on varied in pace, depending on grade, but anywhere from 8:20 to 5:15 pace, with most coming in just a few clicks over seven minute pace. I was pretty fried after the 5th or 6th repeat. Just flailing really after that, feeling my arms go heavy in addition to my legs.
After a bit of recovery, I did a push on the down for a couple of miles (sub six). You can see the nice blip in the HR on the way down where I hit that now uphill.
Always great to get out with the guys. We are clearly getting old though. We didn’t converse as much as usual (focused on breathing instead I guess), and took glee when one of us would stop to vomit.
Oh yeah, Strava let me know that the guy who lives up there is still king.
There is always someone faster, willing to go longer. A triple crossing of the ditch in one go, self supported.
Some pretty direct talk from 2x Kona champ and local guy Tim DeBoom. The need to win that race consumed me. Admittedly, I don’t have anything quite like that level of fire. And I am okay with that.
CO HS state track meet heat sheet. I am not going to make it to the meet this weekend, but there ought to be some solid performances.
Lize is offering a free on line copy of her book, Training on Empty.
JZ and his relay team mates at the track meet at BHS today. Then JZ in his leg.
Did JZ have fun?
ReplyDeleteYeah. Long jump, medley relay, discus and hurdles. And bummed that he could not do mile or the 800 as they would clash with those events. Bummed that he can't do the jav or the pole vault because they don't have those. And wants to do the steeple at the BRR meets.
ReplyDeleteI guess it's all relative, but I'm laughing that you can't run uphill. If you can't run uphill, then I must be crawling. :)
ReplyDeleteLove the focus JZ has throwing the ball...wonder where he gets that?
Was at the state meet all day...good day all-around, but Ryan's 4x800 really tanked. Great 2-mile with Rachel from Smoky taking 2nd (yay) and Jordan from CCHS taking 3rd. At least she didn't fall like last year and take herself out for a solid 3 months.
Great job on the hill repeats - impressive.
On one of the repeats, it started down. I flew away from Bob on this, getting maybe 20-30 yards in the first 10 seconds. As the repeat climbed back up hill, he put 20-30 yards on me in the remainder. We have a dream race where we both do PPM ... he probably would get to the summit 20 minutes ahead of me ... but I'd probably catch up to him on Ruxton on the down. And then it would be on.
DeleteThat scenario sounds a bit familiar.
Delete