Friday, October 18, 2013

Friday 101813

Truly from the better late than never files, OSMP lifts the nighttime ban on its trails.  Really, being just “grateful” here is not the right response.  The question that needs to be out there is why was this thrown out there in the first place.  By the way – Broomfield trails that are closed.

I love me some Mark Wetmore.  This video could be today or 10 years ago … dude is solid consistent.  And good.

8.3 miles mid morning.  Walked with TZ for a couple of miles with the dogs and then got out for these miles after that.  I decided to check how I felt and went for a mile.  5:30 and the legs felt heavy.  All of the effort was in the legs – it seemed hardly came from the lungs.  I mean I was breathing hard of course, but there was none of that coppery taste that you get when you are really working the lungs.  It was silly – I knew right away that my legs were toast from yesterday but I figured, eh – why not push a mile and see what it is.  And if it stinks, well, just doing it can’t hurt.  Keep at it, and keep at it and keep at it.  Rest of it was just under 7:30 miles relaxed.  142 post run.  So, essentially nada as of late.

I then spent the afternoon over at the Commons.  The Region 3 meet for the 2A, 3A and 4A schools for XC was over there (translation, it determined who went to the State meet for those classes – top 4 teams and top 15 individual finishers).  My job:  bike out the leaders. In a couple of the girls races, like the 4A one with Ms. Cranny, we had to run two lead bikes – simply because the lead girl broke away so far from the rest of the field it was the practical thing to do. 

One short but decent hill in the race.  Maybe nothing for person that can bike but it was a get out of the saddle and drop the gears quick and get there a good lead ahead of the runners to assure I could get up the grass and snow slipped hill ahead of them.

I ended up with over 18 miles of biking as it was six races – and with a good amount of it being in the wet grass, trying to stay ahead of young men going 11 mph, and being a horrible cyclist – it worked me nicely. 

It was fun … always fun to watch folks toe the line and work it, and particularly in XC.  Oh yeah – no doubt:  my bike was older than every competitor out there.  By at least a decade. 

3 comments:

  1. Is this the first time the word "bike" has been used on this blog? But seriously... I don't run as often as you, but I still find it tough to get out there for two different activities during the week. Running almost always wins. I do like the simplicity of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, that would have been fun to watch (you on the bike that is.... ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - there has been some cycling on here in the past. Just not pretty.

    Jeff - it was rather comical watching me hit the hill and get up out of the saddle to stay ahead of the kids. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete