Attended an out of state college fair with KZ over at Monarch High last night. Multiple this by about four and you get the idea.
As she is a sophomore, the goal was really just to get her to consider different colleges … big, small, urban, rural, public, private …
I also noticed this as we headed into the gym. The 5k record is held by some guy that did well on the Skyrunning circuit this year.
A read on the current state of national park closures due to the government shutdown. While National Parks are getting a lot of the attention, also in these closures are USFS and BLM lands. Of course, the shut down could get really nasty with this sort of stuff. BTR (Boulder Trail Runner) guy Basit weighs in to the Boulder City Council regarding the OSMP closures. Word of what I am hearing from last nights OSBT meeting is that those folks intend to keep some trails closed until January, and inclined to never opening some trails again.
Listening …
Got together with Bob over the Davidson Mesa. I had thought we’d do 8 x 4 minutes at faster than 5k pace (2 minutes rest). It was clear after the first one that I was not going to even effectively manage 5k pace for any of them. Meh. As I griped to Bob, 30 years of running and racing and I often don’t know if I should bag these sessions as soon as I see it coming or hold on. Today I held on and adapted, withstanding 6 of the efforts. I I guess it sort of depends on the day. I just couldn’t even go that hard to hurt much. 11.3 miles.
Saw Clint Wells out there. GHX has quite a few runners …
Hopefully KZ is considering the University of Pittsburgh!
ReplyDeleteThey were not there last night. Nor was UCONN.
ReplyDeleteConsidering college as a Sophomore? Impressive. I did not really think about it until well after high school, but then again, I am probably not nearly as smart and my parents were not particularly pressing/inspiring for me to do so. Good on her.
ReplyDeleteThe whole closure thing is driving me nuts. It has not impacted my running one bit (OK, affects what I wear, whether I wear headphones or not, or route selection factored in with time of day), but the whole lack of common sense and cohesion behind it. It is just wrong that reasonably in tact trails are closed here in Boulder due to mismanagement and idiotic bureaucracy. Hiking/running/walking in the woods is so peaceful and benign, it seems absolutely absurd that it is now a criminal offense. If anything though, it just makes me want to go more.
JV - your use of the trails is obviously a criminal offense. You are putting the entire OSMP at risk, as well as the rest of it with your use. I am glad the gummit is there to protect us from you.
DeleteJV, have you had any close calls with Rangers? I suppose if a Ranger did see you on a closed trail, you could easily outrun them anyway to avoid the ticket.
DeleteKraig, yeah, IF one were to risk life and limb by going into the closure, I don't think any of the runners I know would have to worry too much about getting caught. Just being smart about it, where you go and when, being heads up, the chances of being spotted, much less confronted are very slim indeed.
Delete"never opening some trails again" > Jeez. Never mind the human occupants of the area -- and the planet. We're treated like a plague threatening the rocks and trees.
ReplyDeleteOf course kids shortcutting steep trails in their Vans and Chuck Taylors ARE a plague, but that's another story. Get off my lawn!
Look up CK Lewis and how we as humans screw everything up.
DeletePerhaps we should stage a "walk in" protest...put out word about a peaceful bit of civil disobedience and have a large group of hikers (running would be too in-your-face) stroll the Mesa Trail some Saturday morning (to make the Sunday papers) to make the point that we can survive on some altered terrain with full knowledge of the "risks" of doing so.
ReplyDeleteHmmm ... like the "Basic?"
DeleteThat has been mentioned by a few, including myself, but in all seriousness, it would only hurt our cause (though it would be a blast).
Delete