Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday 100713

… there is no research I’ve ever found which even suggests that there is “damage” done to one’s aerobic development in the Base period by doing infrequent high-intensity training.

Given some of the recent conversation on how some road runs were boring, I found this post to be appropriate.

I am stoked to see Lucho considering posting some again.  Part of it is that we are both focused towards the same goal (XC Nats in Boulder in February), part of it is that is cool to see him fired up again, part of it is seeing what he does different. 

Cool beer chart. 

Got out and I thought it would be an easy run.  I felt fair, and the itch was there so I tossed in a hard mile to see what that would be.  5:14.  About what I ran in the 8th grade.  I might have paced it about the same as then as well too – poorly. 

I am gonna make this work to also targeting breaking 5 again.

Then jogged over to the Commons and did hard strider diagonals on the grass soccer field.  9.4 miles.

IMG_1284
Poor KZ.  Her jaw has changed since her braces came out so she is back in braces for a bit. 
IMG_1281IMG_1282
JZ and his buds reworking their patrol box yesterday.
  IMG_1278

13 comments:

  1. Friel's post was spot on and an excellent reminder. Edmond's boredom/routine post was likewise excellent however I don't think it applies at all to the recent conversation around roads being boring (or more specifically Kilian saying that much during the UROC race). I find roads boring but yet I run the same trails over and over again, day in and day out. The daily routine and the type of surfaces we choose to run are two very different things. Edmunds was addressing the daily routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edmond was clearly not tying his post to KJ's recent comments. That was my jack ass connection.

      I recall when Scott Elliott was doing Green or Bear everyday or like 100 in a row. Folks thought that was boring too. He thought it was not - as he saw something different every day.

      Delete
    2. The only thing worse than running on a road is running on a track (wait, is the other way around? I forget.... ;) ). Oops, forgot treadmill. Treadmill, Track, Road in descending order from worst to least worst.

      As you know, I tend to repeat Green Mountain from time to time and some days are better than others, but I rarely, if ever find it boring. Even though it has become quite familiar, each trip is uniquely different and exploring new routes on the same peak helps as well.

      To each their own I guess.

      Delete
    3. Well, I don't find the treadmill boring but I have been able to avoid it for the first 40 something weeks of this year.

      It is a good thing that OSMP shut all those trails leading up Green down for you. That prevents you from getting up there and getting bored.

      Delete
    4. Well, you are right, only in that it keeps me from getting bored ;).

      Delete
  2. Cutting switchbacks, now *that* is entertaining running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brett - I have been meaning to tell ya, your LH run was impressive man. Well done.

      Delete
    2. How about 7:12 miles for 400 laps on a track? Indoors?

      Delete
    3. Thanks George, getting there. Quit 2.5 hours early due to incredible chafing (never had that problem before)...so still some good potential left there.

      Delete
  3. Oh man, poor KZ! I'm not sure I could have the strength to put them back on.

    I was looking at the results in CO Magazine's top runners and how drastically the times change with every 10-year age group (at 40 and beyond)....it's amazing. I gotta get my sorry self back to the gym again. I just hate it.

    Sweet on the 5:14!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should go grab that latest issue and graph out those times.

      Delete