Eye exam today. Let’s see … another old age thing to add to the mix. Apparently I am on the edge of qualifying for bifocals. The doc also said I had a big optic nerve (of course!) and that could mean a slightly greater likelihood for glaucoma down the road.
Dialated …
Add in my prehypertensive state (they measured me at the eye doc as 130 over 90 this AM), some hearing loss, a right shoulder that seems tweaked so that I can’t rotate it correctly, graying hair and my psoas feeling like it is going to fall out – yeah, seems about right for 44. Or maybe a bit well worn on the tires. I guess on the other side of it, I am running 70 miles a week, have no need for the little blue pill and don’t appear to be going bald yet
Got a call in the afternoon from David C checking to see if I wanted to get a burro run in. IN LOUISVILLE. Uh, heck yeah as it is 5 minutes away. And I’d get to meet the NKOTB burros, Farnsworth (Pedretti’s burron) and Elroy (David’s). Both of these guys are just over a year so it was essentially one of the first outing for them.
We did a little work with them on the farm, and got them out up on the Coal Creek trail as well. Little bit of running, some trotting, and even a gallop occasionally.
Afterwards David and I hit the trail and headed west on the Coal Creek trail. When we got to the golf course, we swung up onto it – enjoying the ridiculously beautiful day and the soft grass. Sure enough the CU women, men were out there working the course and doing repeats in prep for the upcoming Pac-12 meet. Wetmore was out there dishing out wisdom, and assistant coaches and Olympians Barringer and Nelson were also in tow. A little star gazed for sure. 7.2 miles on the day.
Oh and later on the BP cuff at the pharmacy at King Soopers had me at 118/79.
I have heard that there is some back and forth on the state course for XC. I stumbled on this and I guess that sort of lays it out. Anyway, all the questions get answered at State tomorrow.
Ever gone to see a movie about a topic that you have pretty good knowledge about? For example, any semi serious runner that has seen the movie “Pre” has to sit on their hands on some of the running scenes – if they are going to enjoy the movie at all. Simply, they know more about running than the average person who is going to see the flick and they see stuff that does not really work. But for that average person, it is fine. I feel the same way as of late listening to this breakdown of the the software project healthcare.gov. I know enough about software development that when I hear some of the coverage, and terms like “tech surge” (apparently now all government efforts need “surge” in the name) that I realize we are getting a highly diluted packaged and hence incorrect version of the story. I guess you could say it is true of closures on OSMP as well. To the average person, telling them the “trails are unsafe!” and “you will do MORE damage (to trails that were damaged by Mother Nature more in 48 hours than what we humans did in 30 years)!” – it is fine. Okay, go about your business, nothing to look at here and keep doing your thing. But to those that look a bit and might know a thing or two, it seems ridiculous.
Further evidence that you need to harbor a personal burro: they are medically necessary.
ReplyDeleteBeing in my 50s, I'm well into reading glasses territory and it's pretty damned annoying (I wear contacts). I want my prescription from age 40 back. I am tempted to ask for that at the optometrist (annual prescription = licensing scam), but I have a feeling I know the answer already.
They have to give it to you ...
DeleteRegarding "tech surge," the failure of healthcare.org is a nightmare scenario for the administration. So what they've done with "tech surge" is just slap a PR/spin-type term on a huge problem to make people and the media think a solution is under way. This is just gross incompetence.
ReplyDeleteA few years ago I was diagnosed with genetic hearing loss in my left ear. I'm close to needing a hearing aid in that ear. I hear ya about aging.
Wyatt
why can't the sense of smell go with age instead of sight and hearing? Things seem to stink more as I get older ...
DeleteWelcome to the club. My eye pressure is high too and have already had laser treatment as a preventative for glaucoma.
ReplyDeleteAwesome. I guess my eye pressure was okay ... they did do the puff test. I was thankful it was the puff test versus that old test they had where something actually pushed on the eyeball. But I hate the puff test too.
Delete