Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tuesday 101513

Afternoon – 10.2 miles on the local and still open trails.  5 miles of it steady (sub 7) over the “parade of homes” route, so a moderate tempo of sorts.  Everything else relaxed.

Results from the Boulder 100 are up.  Ebel’s winning time should read at 16 and change  and not 28 and change.  Looks like only seven did the full 100 out of 17 attempting it.  A guy did do 111 in the 24 though.  There is a part of me that thinks I am not done with that nutty race.

This is pretty cool.

Some good back and forth on weight in the comments from yesterday’s post.  While I am becoming increasingly convinced weight loss would probably have more bearing on my performance than training at this point in my “career,” I am also increasing convinced that there is a difference between fitness performance and health performance.  For the vast majority of Americans, there is little difference here:  becoming more fit is to become more healthy.  But to reach optimal fitness performance does begin to mean a compromise to health at some point.  Weight is clearly one of those areas where people could get fit and healthy, but the roads can diverge when getting to the point of performance fitness.  140-145 is probably healthy for me.  130 probably wouldn’t be but I’d probably be faster.  For a little while at least.  141 today post run.

IMG_1329 

Good advice.

The whatisultra posts are pretty funny.

Apparently Julian Myers, Marina Del Rey won his age group at a recent Huntsman Senior Games in the 800 meters.  His time?  1:19:01.85.  That’s right and hour and twenty minutes.  His age group:  95-99.  He also took the silver in the 50 meters 2:41.66 behind gold medalist Daniel Buckley who beat him by over 2 minutes – posting a 15.47.  As they say, sometimes the race is sometimes won by those who keep running. 

4 comments:

  1. "I am also increasing convinced that there is a difference between fitness performance and health performance." I couldn't agree more.

    Regarding the Boulder 100, there's something about that event that intrigues me. I love loop courses.

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wyatt - a 100 mile PR for you there in 2014?

      Delete
  2. Weight is a very funny thing I am figuring out... Four Leadville 100's... four different results... four different weights... 157, 143, 147, 154 were my race weights respectively for 2010 - 2013 with each year faster than the previous. I know I feel and run more efficient at a lower weight but this summer it didn't seem to be "that" big of a factor. After the marathon in June I decided to relax about it all and try to not gain but I also did try to keep the numbers on the scale as low as I could. So now I try to not sweat it too much and focus on being lean more than the actual weight itself. After a month and a half of MAF training, my weight isn't down that much but my body fat % is super low and I don't have the extra hanging around in my midsection anymore. I will take that over a lower reading on the scale any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we are an experiment of one I guess. In your case, your experiment played out well with that MAF (and arguably economy focus). I'd say for the ultra events, focus on V02 (and subsequently weight) is less of a concern - as it ought to be a focus on economy (MAF).

      Delete