Sunday, July 5, 2015

Sunday 05JUL2015

Jager is amazing.  Amazing in that this is an American kid taking it to the Africans that dominate this sport.  My favorite part is how he bangs on the steeple with his hands after the race because he is ABSOLUTELY PISSED.

Up early.  I headed up to Lucho’s get some easy jogging in with him and to catch up a bit. 



Today’s topics covered falling down in the steeplechase, getting bit by a pig, pillow cases, bananas, monster trout, how porn causes ED and risk management in humans (or how we suck at it).  The wisdom in these conversations is beyond measure.

We saw a baby deer that must have not been more than a couple of days old.

10 miles.  REALLY fun running.  It felt good to run and laugh like that, watch the sunrise, and be away from it a bit.  Chatting with Lucho is good training for me, in my head and my heart. 

Got home and jogged with TZ for a bit.
FullSizeRender
I debate whether to count this stuff as running in my log.  In some regards it is very easy for me, so easy I may not count it.  But then at the same time I am moving faster than when I am going up Shadow.  This is all a stupid brain question because my body keeps its own training log … and that is where it really counts.

The week ends with 87.3 miles, 15 hours, and 13710 of vertical.  While I made a big deal of hitting 34k of vertical in all of June with those days off, I have had nearly that much in the last 15 days (32.79k).  On the year I sit at 2019.3 miles, 286.6 hours, 135.4k feet, and so averaging 76 miles a week and 10.6 hours in 2015.

If you are a track geek, you might be interested in this stuff on the 10 second barrier for the 100.

Six weeks to Pikes, and seven to Leadville. 

While traveling, in terms of running it will be a fair of treadmill but also exercises like this:

4 comments:

  1. Good work on the vertical, George. For us working guys, that's impressive. It's going to pay off on Hope Pass and Powerline (and Pikes). Paraphrasing Bob (as quoted on the blog a few weeks ago), you have to be OK with running 12:00 miles at Leadville. In some spots, like the backside of Hope, it'll be 20+ minute miles. The key is to take what you can get, pace it all perfectly, and then hit the gas when you can. Going back down the frontside of Hope has always been a place where I've struggled but it's a place where you can really cruise if you have the legs. Good luck. Keep at it. And by the way: I'm always game for a long run of 30+ miles. Let me know if you need company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Wyatt. By the front side of Hope, you mean returning to Leadville?

      Delete
  2. Jager is slightly better than either of us in the steeple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brownie - if he wore Hokas he would not have tripped.

      Delete