AM – 5.4 miles with the HS kids. I am capturing a FB conversation here for the purposes of historic record keeping. Jill S on FB thought my time of 5:22 at Fairplay was fast. Arguably it is the fastest that has been run there in over a decade, and it is the fastest that Jack and I have ever done. I replied to Jill with this.
Thanks Jill. It is the fastest finish in a while and the fastest that Jack and I had. We were slowed actually by having to help a person who lost their burro above Park City. But frankly - it is not that fast. Justin and I thought we could get under five hours, like Hal and Curtis have done. We could do that but any chance we had was lost on slow going up American Flats. We got to the 10 mile mark (the split on Mosquito Pass Road) in 87 - but then it took us 88 minutes to get to the pass. Yeah, that is like 22 minute miles going up. That is a lot of lost time. Additionally, the section coming down from the pass to the bend (or the bridge) - about 2.7 miles has become increasingly washed out and rocky over the years. The donkeys I have seen are reluctant to run that. We lost some time there too (maybe 12 or 13 minute miles, so not a lot - certainly not as much as the trek across the Flats). Zippier times could be run, and I think with the right runner and burro the Tom Sobal Maynard record could be broke ... but it will require a burro that will run the Flats.
As I tagged Hal and Curtis, they both weighed in and this is the good stuff.
Course record is 3:44 by Tom Sobal and Maynard. That is a respectable time without a burro for a 29 mile run in the mountains at 10-13k feet with 3500 of gain.
I asked Curtis what this belt was that he referred to. This is the response I got:
PM – 7 miles, hot.
Got some pix from Bob that he took on Sunday from Mosquito Pass.





No comments:
Post a Comment