Thursday, January 22, 2015

The start of the plan … well sort of

Okay, so I am in for Leadville and I am expecting to register with an age group win (half off the reg price) for the Pikes Peak Marathon.  These two races are a week apart, and jamming 7800 feet of descent into your legs a week before a hundred miler probably ain’t the best thing to assure the best success.  But this choice clearly falls into the category of “I don't want to regret what I didn't do; I want to regret what I did do.” So, what is the plan to get there?  Honest answer: I don’t completely know.  I have principles in training that I will look to embrace, but I don’t have the plan like I used to construct – a week by week detail of what I was looking to do to get a desired result.  There is a flaw in taking this principled approach – for me it can allow me to slip and get loose with my training.  Nowhere is this more clear to me than my recent approach to the Boulder XC race.  I had an idea-principle that I would get in 2 hard workouts a week.  That didn’t happen.  Work – both travel and local, other obligations, and less than ideal weather gave me a variety of excuses to opt out of that.  I look at the upcoming 8k XC race and realize that the open ended approach meant exactly that – a lack of focus and that means less than the razor’s edge come race day. In an 8K XC race that might mean the difference of a couple of minutes.  In a 125 plus miles of races over a week, it could be the difference between finishing or not.  In light of that, I have had a few folks ask me:  “so what is the plan man?”  And I realize that I don’t have one that is highly prescriptive.  But this is what I know now in terms of big picture principles and problems to work through … and realize I need to tweak in the coming days, weeks and months.  None of this is hard … after all, this is just running.  But it is an initial grocery list of sorts.  In no particular order …

1.)  Consistency.  Yeah, I need to be consistent.  That does mean getting out nearly every day.  Running on tired legs and all that.  Getting up in the mornings and getting the additive running in.  But consistency can be a enemy of good.  10 miles a day for a week on the flats is not gonna kill me, but if that is all I do between not and August, that could kill me.  I need to vary it up with longer runs, mountain runs, back to backs.
2.)  I need to figure out the pacer crew thing.
3.)  I need to figure out the gear thing.  I am not a huge gear junkie and I need to get all the bags, slack pack, headlamp stuff  … and heck what shorts to wear all figured out.
4.)  Know the Course:  I want to get on the course at least 10 times.  I guess I have done one to some extent already.  I want to have hit every part of the course at least once before race day.  I am not sure how practical this is, but I gotta put it out there.  Yes, this is specific to Leadville.  I know the Pikes course pretty well.
5.)  Take it where you can get it.   My passport is getting a workout this year.  Even without international travel, I am moving around quite a bit.
Feb:  2 visits to NC, a visit to Vancouver.
Mar:  a visit to ATL
Apr:  a visit to Vancouver
May:  a visit to Tel Aviv and a visit to Cork
Jun:  a week on a boat with the boy in the Bahamas, possibly a trip to TN
Jul: two weeks on a cruise ship in the Baltics
All that accounts for about 2 months of being on the road in the next two sixty something days.  There are some days I am just not going to get training in.  There are some days I am going to have to be disciplined and creative (and as much as I am done with treadmills, it looks like I am doing that in Jul).  When I have a period where I can get after it, get to altitude – I need to do that and almost use these other periods as recoveries and breaks. 
6.)  Back to backs, long runs, mountains, altitude.  Nuff said. 
7.)  Everything else:  diet, sleep, stretching, hydration, focus, listening to the body, recovery, shifting workouts, weight work, keeping it in balance, having fun.

So that is the start as to where I am at.  Pretty simple. 

10 comments:

  1. Don't forget your old friend, the treadmill, when the weather is crap and you need some speed or some hills. Great tool and resource. And I know a once-favorite of yours. Great start to the planning phase, keep chipping away at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill - no doubt I will be on the mill on the boat in the Baltics. But generally I will look to avoid treadmills if I can. I tend to over do it on mills to the point of getting hurt.

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to ultra running, but do you feel that with all the cumulative mileage you are already largely prepared?

    ReplyDelete
  3. a couple of things...

    i am really considering pikes. not sure i want to run the ascent, marathon, or try to double. thoughts?

    leadville. i won't know until the baby comes but i may be able to help pace or crew or both... maybe just an extra man on the team.

    i'd love to get out there over the summer with you for some running up high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure you can't do the double. I am fairly certain they have changed the requirements that you have to have done one of the races in the past two years to do the double.

      I am looking forward to your arrival. The whole state is actually. The whole place is going to be a lot cooler.

      Ascent v. Marathon. The Ascent is more competitive, and you can actually walk well the next day. That is the argument for the Ascent. The marathon ...well, there is something stupidly special about shoving 7800 feet of drop into your legs ... if that is in yer craw, I probably can't talk you out of it.

      There is a VERY general rule that your marathon time is probably your ascent time. This is a broad rule (Carpenter had a 2:18 best on the marathon roads and did the Ascent in 2:01 but he is an alien freak). I think we tend to ascend a little faster than that prediction (my best was a 2:37 and I don't think I was that fast really for a road marathon).

      Let's say you get up in 2:30 ... That might get you top ten/dozen in the Ascent. If you did that in the marathon and got back down in 90 minutes you break four and probably be on the podium or top five at worst.

      Delete
  4. I don't know how you do it with all the travel, especially of the biz type. I was gone for a handful of days and felt things unraveling. Anyway, I am sure you have some hamster wheel workouts but a favorite of mine (that won't likely get you hurt) is: short ez warmup. then peg the mill at 14-15% and walk between 4.2-4.6+ speed. slowly work from 20-25 minutes up to 45ish minutes. then cool down. you'll be surprised how easy running is after all this walking. i need to find a way to squeeze this back into my life (I've ditched the TM for at least 8 months now).

    ReplyDelete
  5. (2) and (4) are not really essential, especially (4). I don't think knowing the course really helps much. If anything it can be a detriment. I might be able to help with (4) if you want to deal with me.

    Keep neglecting the XC race…I have a growler on your performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much that I am going to do (other than perhaps not eat as much) between now and XC that will change that result. If I have two legs I ought to be able to go faster than last year, but that might even be in question. I think Bob loses this growler. Sorry to disappoint.

      Getting on the course is certainly not essentially, and it is probably a push as to if it helps or hurts. If anything, if I get my ass out there it helps assure a long run at altitude.

      I am working on the pacer thing. Basically it comes down to if Bob is doing the damn race or not.

      Delete