Between you, me, Shad at this point it could be that we don't wake up the day of the race because we were out too late the night before doing beer mile repeats.
I am toying with the idea of how many miles I ought to back up on back to back days ... I am not probably going to get out and do 50 or 40 mile runs in training so I will need to seek a race for that. But two runs at a fair pace ... maybe adding up to 50 ...
My unsolicited advice: focus more on how much time your back to back runs are and not the distance. If you run back to back 20 milers in 2:30ish it isn't going to be incredibly useful. I think it is more important that you do back to back runs in the 3.5-4ish hour range.
And congrats on getting in, though it seems like everyone did. I think I might have to come and watch this.
Congratulations, GZ!! Very stoked for you! I was just reading your next post about doing both the LT100 and PPM and yeah, it's not an 'ideal' racing method, but it takes guts to do it and won't it be cool to one day say to all your grandkids that it's better to have at least tried than to not try at all!!!
You're going to do great. Looking forward to your upcoming training posts. And if you ever need a super slow slog-fest training day partner, give me a shout! :)
I have heard of at least one person now that did not get in. Would be interesting to see how that played out (# of entrants, # in, # from Leadman, etc)
And my unsolicited advice is to #1 do whatever you need to do to just stay healthy. The other thing you risk (whether its training runs that are too fast or too long) is not making it to the starting line. No matter what shape you are in, once you reach the start of the backside of Hope coming back in, the difference in levels of fitness will not nearly make as much of a difference as your will power will the rest of the way back. At least thats my 2 worthless cents.
Yeah, a risk to a take it while I can strategy will be pushing so hard in those times when I can that I screw sumthin' up.
And the second half is what scares the hell out of me. The first half of the one 100 I did was around 8 hours and change. The second half? Well, as Bob has shared he ran a 100 miler faster than I did that second 50.
I'm excited for you. Your day-in, day-out consistency both inspires me and makes me feel guilty. Hopefully I will be able to follow your example and show up to my summer races prepared.
A Huge Congrats!! Its the same weekend as my Silverton Marathon so I will be looking forward to your training via blogging. Stay Strong & Run Free!! Cheers
Yes, hills ... but not now. Not really much until after XC. I have not a lot of desire to slog through the ice and snow that is up there right now. But yes, a huge element that is lacking for me is significant vertical.
Congrats on getting in! somehow I've found myself getting in the race as well after swearing off 100s. We'll have to plan some pb training runs this summer. Should be fun!
Woohoo! Looking forward to your next 8 months! ;-)
ReplyDeleteLeft. Right. Repeat.
DeleteA lot.
Nice!
ReplyDeleteIt is rather mind blowing to me that the wonderful D-bo reads this and posts here. I am tempted to run in jorts to honor that.
DeleteIt's only a 100 miles at altitude. What could possibly go wrong?!
ReplyDeleteBetween you, me, Shad at this point it could be that we don't wake up the day of the race because we were out too late the night before doing beer mile repeats.
DeleteThat'll get you out of bed in the morning.
ReplyDeleteYup. Was thinking of that this AM while slogging in odarkthirty.
DeleteYes! Awesome, GZ. Congrats. Can't wait to follow along.
ReplyDeleteHolding out for Boyack to be there.
DeleteI saw you do a back to back 20 mile run (or close to it) a few weeks ago and was wondering if you were getting close...
ReplyDeleteI am toying with the idea of how many miles I ought to back up on back to back days ... I am not probably going to get out and do 50 or 40 mile runs in training so I will need to seek a race for that. But two runs at a fair pace ... maybe adding up to 50 ...
DeleteMy unsolicited advice: focus more on how much time your back to back runs are and not the distance. If you run back to back 20 milers in 2:30ish it isn't going to be incredibly useful. I think it is more important that you do back to back runs in the 3.5-4ish hour range.
DeleteAnd congrats on getting in, though it seems like everyone did. I think I might have to come and watch this.
I agree - particularly when I shift to runs in the mountains and hills.
DeleteI really had no concerns about getting in. I fully expected all that applied to get in.
I know somoene who didn't get in. :(
DeleteCongratulations, GZ!! Very stoked for you! I was just reading your next post about doing both the LT100 and PPM and yeah, it's not an 'ideal' racing method, but it takes guts to do it and won't it be cool to one day say to all your grandkids that it's better to have at least tried than to not try at all!!!
You're going to do great. Looking forward to your upcoming training posts. And if you ever need a super slow slog-fest training day partner, give me a shout! :)
I have heard of at least one person now that did not get in. Would be interesting to see how that played out (# of entrants, # in, # from Leadman, etc)
DeleteAnd my unsolicited advice is to #1 do whatever you need to do to just stay healthy. The other thing you risk (whether its training runs that are too fast or too long) is not making it to the starting line. No matter what shape you are in, once you reach the start of the backside of Hope coming back in, the difference in levels of fitness will not nearly make as much of a difference as your will power will the rest of the way back. At least thats my 2 worthless cents.
DeleteWell worth a heck of lot more than 2 cents.
DeleteYeah, a risk to a take it while I can strategy will be pushing so hard in those times when I can that I screw sumthin' up.
And the second half is what scares the hell out of me. The first half of the one 100 I did was around 8 hours and change. The second half? Well, as Bob has shared he ran a 100 miler faster than I did that second 50.
I'm excited for you. Your day-in, day-out consistency both inspires me and makes me feel guilty. Hopefully I will be able to follow your example and show up to my summer races prepared.
ReplyDeleteDon't feel guilt. I read that somewhere.
DeleteActually I think fear is what gets me going more than guilt a lot of times.
A Huge Congrats!! Its the same weekend as my Silverton Marathon so I will be looking forward to your training via blogging. Stay Strong & Run Free!! Cheers
ReplyDeleteThat Silverton Marathon looks pretty amazing! A 100 might be easier than that.
Deletei can't wait to watch this go down....
ReplyDeleteI am guessing you will be front row with the Walsh clan (all three of you).
Deletefor sure dude. i'll bring my cowbell and heckle like it's a cyclocross race. really looking forward to being out there.
Delete
DeleteDo I see you in a devil outfit?
Nice. Looking forward to the buildup.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a lot of trips up Green in the next 6 months?
Yes, hills ... but not now. Not really much until after XC. I have not a lot of desire to slog through the ice and snow that is up there right now. But yes, a huge element that is lacking for me is significant vertical.
DeleteAwesome! I was hoping you'd get in, GZ! Congrats! (I'll see you on the starting line-- assuming I can still walk after Hardrock!)
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to it. I intend to drag butt up that way as well to get on the course and will see if we can connect up.
DeleteCongrats on getting in! somehow I've found myself getting in the race as well after swearing off 100s. We'll have to plan some pb training runs this summer. Should be fun!
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to that Brian. Just don't make promises like that anymore!
Delete