I try to avoid general politics … well, I look to steer clear of it in this blog but … really? The government is shutdown. Unless they are fining you. In other closure news, someone I know recently posted this on FB.
Apparently there is an OSMP BOT meeting tomorrow night where the public can voice concerns on these matters.
So while youngsters like Cranny have been cleaning the clock of collegians by winning races outright, it is apparently occurring via old fogeys as well.
How come I can see Timko staging something like this?
Easy jogging today, the Owens loop from the office, twice and once with Steve M. 10.4 miles. Tired – not surprising.
I guess I just don't feel excruciating psychological pain from not being able to run on certain trails for a few weeks.
ReplyDeleteAt the same time, what's the hold up? The world is not a sanitized, perfectly safe place. Should we be wearing our running helmets?
If I lived somewhere else I would not be posting about it. It is just the on going theme of how this group manages its parks.
DeleteA few weeks of not running my favorite trails? If I knew it were JUST a few weeks and if it were for good reason, I could deal with that (maybe), but what is really irking myself and others is that there is little reason to keep closed the remaining trails. All trails should be open, except for all but a few very limited spots where a temporary detour could easily be created (or already exists).
ReplyDeleteThere are literally more than 1,000 potential volunteers (that I know of) chomping at the bit to help get OSMP back up to speed, but volunteer projects have been very few and far between.
I sent the following email this morning to the Open Space Board of Trustees stating (OSBT-Web@bouldercolorado.gov). If you can't attend the meeting tomorrow, I suggest that anybody who is affected by this (or not) and has a moment, to write to them as well.
"To whom it may concern:
I understand there is a Open Space Board of Trustees meeting on Weds., one where I will not be able to attend, but I would like to relay my concerns here in lieu of my physical absence.
Using OSMP trails that reach the summits of Green, Bear and South Boulder Peaks is extremely important to me and not being able to access these trails is becoming extremely troublesome for myself, my family, many of my friends and the community of Boulder.
I recognize that the trails were damaged in a way that affects us all and I understand and appreciate the efforts of OSMP to re-open trails in a timely manner.
I have signed up to volunteer my time to help in this process, but feel like the projects being listed where we can help are far less than what is necessary. I know that many other people besides myself are eager to immediately help.
Though I very much appreciate the efforts underway, I have made a few observations that concern me:
con't
ReplyDelete"a). While running up the start of the recently opened 3rd Flatiron Access/Lower Royal Arch Trail, both a friend and I noticed, on separate occasions, an OSMP crew cutting trees in the woods, well off the trail. Given the amount of closed trails, this seems to me like it should be given a lower priority.
b). In the talus field below the junction of the 2nd/3rd (Flatirons Loop), there was an OSMP trail crew working hard here with crowbars, re-positioning large rocks. I ran through the same spot the previous day and observed absolutely no damage here, so I question why time and resources that could better be used elsewhere are being used on this area.
c). Just below the Royal Arch/3rd junction, the trail had been washed out in the flood and trail crews were able to pick some rocks out of the way, creating a smooth passage through the washout. With the many hundreds (1,000+ on the FB page) of eager and willing volunteers, almost every trail could be opened in a weekend performing similar repairs, if only temporary until more permanent repairs can be made. Just enough to allow what may be considered by the majority to be "safe" passage.
d). Considering how few volunteers projects have been announced/arranged/organized, it is starting to appear that the offers to help are not being efficiently utilized. I also worry that with the coming of Winter conditions, trail repair and the rate of trail openings will slow considerably.
e). The very busy and now over-burdened trails around Chautauqua are still quite rutted This seems like low hanging fruit to me, as the area is so accessible and there are so many willing volunteers.
f). The 1st Flatiron Access trail was open all the way to the back of the first, but now there is a sign closing the trail at the saddle between the 1st and 2nd Flatirons, making it essentially open to downhill traffic only for those who climb the 1st. Though minor, I do not see the logic in closing down in tact trails.
Many OSMP users, including myself are aware of and expect that venturing into mountain environments pose a certain level of risk, as is the case anywhere one might go in life. Myself and many trail users that I know feel that the risks, now nearly a month post flood are no more than they were previously. We want to be able to continue to make decisions for ourselves, as we do in our daily lives. I would very much appreciate it if all of the trails were open, with signs warning of the dangers and that I be able to proceed at my own risk. This includes nighttime use and off trail access as well. Please refer to the actions RMNP has taken post flood/pre-government closure.
Thank you very much for your consideration."
Perfectly put. So, frankly this just seems like incompetence at managing the park to me. I mean, the highway dept has already opened previously damaged roads. ROADS, for goodness sake.
Delete