Thursday, June 4, 2015

Thursday 060415

AM – 5.7 miles with JV, Skurka and Roche.  I had been trying to get together with Dave for sometime and it worked out that I was able to connect this up with Jeff and Andrew as well.  Just an awesome crew – good conversation on running, life … well, if you can get a word in while heading up Green.  Just incredibly passionate and positive people … IMG_3639
A little debate on the trail on poles … some say they work wonders.  Others say they keep you from running and encourage you to hike.  And some say they make you a hiker anyway.  I got them in an Amazon order today and intend to start test driving them soon.  I do expect to use them. 

I had intended to do a dental cleaning and then swing back to Chautauqua after a bit of office work for a  longer effort.  But I got word from Dave Mackey that he had a window for visitation and I headed down to Denver Health to see him.

Dave talked me through the accident, the rescue, his current situation and what is projected to come up next with surgeries, rehab, etc.  It will be a tough road.  I will admit it: it is hard to see Dave like this.  Every other time I have seen him he has been a powerful athlete moving through a race, with determination and focus.  He is powerful, determined and focused still but fighting a very different battle of endurance, and probably easily argued the toughest one he has ever faced.   Still, you (and he) see that and you realize how lucky he was/is.  I don’t think you can really think about that and not be moved emotionally.  I certainly was.

So a day of inspiring people … I mean really inspiring people.  The universe speaks.

I am heading up to Laughing Valley Ranch tomorrow night for a burro run with Jack.  If interested in joining, give me a shout.

Late afternoon – 7.3 miles.  Hot. 

Evening – the Pumpkin took a nice tag.  As far as car accidents go, this is about as take as you can get.  I was at a light, making a right on red, signal on.  Someone tried to slip up around me in the bike lane (in their car) and when I made the turn … crunch.  Basically there is no turn lane for them, they tried to make one.  Bummer is that it looks to be three panels that will need to be dealt with.IMG_3656
IMG_3658IMG_3666

23 comments:

  1. Excellent crew this morning, one of the most enjoyable outings I have had in some time. Funny, when you told me to lead, I suggested straight up the hill, primarily to hear you balk about it, but surprisingly, everyone went along, so I was happy to go that way. Man, what a jackass that person was, trying to pull off that stunt. I can be impatient in the car, but I don't think I have ever even contemplated that move. Small beans though compared to what Dave is going through I guess. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was pretty frustrated when it happened but given that the visit to Dave was fresh in my mind and none of us were hurt - it was easy to chalk it up as just a "thing."

      Delete
  2. Also great to meet David, everything you said about him was true, he certainly is one of the nicest guys out there. Hopefully he gets into Pikes (even though that means another place down the standing for us ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really cannot think of a reason why Roche would not get a competitive entry given his resume!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It could still happen. I might find that I am too much of a klutz with them.

      Delete
    2. You are a klutz either way, so what's the difference?

      Delete
    3. I might stab myself with a pole.

      Delete
  4. Dave -really that was your first summit of Green? Really?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poles are awesome. I can perhaps see the argument that they promote hiking, though you can still run with them. But you are going to be using them in a case where you would be hiking anyway so I don't see that as a good argument against them. They are also surprisingly handy going downhill if your legs are totally shot…I would recommending trying to avoid needing them in that situation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I hope whoever hit you at least got a traffic ticket and is held fully responsible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they got a ticket. Nobody got hurt, everyone is insured, the vehicles were driveable and there was no big drama. In light of what it was and what it could of been - no big deal. A bit frustrating but need to keep it in some context.

      Delete
  7. I don't think there's anything that Nick Pedophilia and I agree on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is gonna make for an awesome pacing crew.

      Delete
    2. A few years ago I was finished, showered, head a few beers, and was half way back to Boulder by the time JT finished Hardrock. I certainly hope you are not going to take any of his advice.

      Delete
    3. Rupp may have used drugs, but he's still above NMP in my book since he hasn't resorted to using poles. At least you're trying to hide the cheating when you use drugs.

      Delete
    4. So Brownie - you won't mule the poles for me?

      Delete
  8. I will carry a stick to hit you if you get too slow. Or too close to my Pb PR.

    ReplyDelete