A woman I have worked with on and off over the last 15 years at my company passed away. Age 53. I had not worked with her in a bit but this was not something I was expecting. Such an event does set off that alarm clock in your head that we all probably need to hear occasionally …
It is July. 3 weeks and the competitive entry lists for Pikes ought to be up. Based on who is in now, I’d go with Nichols for the men’s marathon win. Hard to say on the women’s side – as I’d go with Yates but I think she just had a baby. Not sure if that will be a factor or not. Could be Nichols over there as well (is that a couple?). Zuniga for the men’s masters in the round trip. I’d say Mackey on that, but I don’t think he will be in either race he is registered for as he is claiming to do Leadman this year. Ascent is harder to pick as it is a bit more loaded but I will go with Blake, and Ernholtz. Of course, the competitive entries could shift things up a bit.
Summer track meets through the BRR continue Thursday night. I will take another shot at the 1500. I may buzz back around Friday AM for a mile in Superior as well. There is potentially a 4k back in Boulder after that too, but I can’t see me putting that many races together in that period of time. Also possibilities in Louisville.
Got this lengthy interview with AJW queued up to listen to. Eighty three minutes.
11 plus hours at high altitude and only 1 L of water? I thought he got past that after peeing coffee at WS a few years ago. I get it was cold and all, but that is pretty amazing.
Long time since he nailed a win. Glad to see the guy get one.
Just love watching a good race.
Older article on Krar but a good one. Records are records, but you gotta figure Krar’s win would have been much faster on the cooler day in 2012 when the current WS record was set.
Okay, is there a more diverse yet accomplished runner than Max King? WMRC champ? US Oly Trials finalist in the steeple? Fourth at Western States in sub 15:45 in his 100 debut? Member of the US World XC team? (thanks Lucho for the ref to great Matt Trappe shot).
Lots of USATF action at the Nat Champs that sort of dead ends as it is not a WC or Oly year yet, still solid. Performance of the meet? A 20 year old girl runs sub 2 in the 800. Wow. And Lagat at 65 years old wins another 5k title.
A bit tired today, so easy. 10.1 miles, with a visit out to Elroy and Vern.
The thistle nearby has to be at least seven feet tall.
I started to head over to the trail that connects Broomfield to Boulder County Open Space through the Carolyn Holmberg open space. The trail has been “closed, under construction” for months now with just dirt sitting out there. It is so ridiculously overdue that folks are just using it now anyway. There was a truck parked out there on my way out so I went across the field away from the trail down to 287, but grabbed it back on the way back.
KZ has the Blink 182 channel going on Pandora. This one came up today. Not rushing off to show that video to the family.
No baby yet for Yates, but she is 4 (?) months pregnant.
ReplyDeleteFor women's PPA, got to go with Payne, Olaru, and McLaughlin over Erholtz. Olaru I believe is dependent on how Loon Mtn goes though.
Krar - thought that was an awesome read as well. It's the cover story for next month's print RT actually.
Unlikely Mackey would win Masters even if he ran, as he is still a certain top 10. Zuniga and Dickey are easily in the hunt for top 10 as well, depending on how stacked it is up front (I know that sounds like a "no $hit" statement). Nichols has a PPM win coming his way, my pick for sure (based on current entrants).
ReplyDeleteThe Krar article was very well written, really enjoyed that one. I was really struck by his candor and honesty, seems like a very genuine and humble individual.
ReplyDeleteAh, Yates is not a contender then. Thanks for that tip.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I thought about mentioning that distinction with Mackey. He'd most likely be a top 10er. While I have enjoyed that distinction, and it let me "win" the Masters, I sort of think it is BS. Top master wins the masters - not the top master after the top 10. So yes - one can "double dip" awards - they have earned it.
I agree with you, but it makes me happy when I benefit from it. I would be more satisfied with a top 10 than a masters win personally (primarily because it would most likely mean a dream performance from me (though too would a masters win)). Neither here nor there for me though, I am very lucky to sneak in the rankings and my time there is limited (if not over).
DeleteI saw a picture out there somewhere from WS100 that showed Max King and Ryan Sandes hiking together up a hill somewhere near the end. So I went back and looked up the splits - At Mile 94 Max had Dylan Bowman by 2 minutes, Ryan Sandes by 10 minutes, and Ian Sharman by 12 minutes. But just 3 miles later at Mile 97/No Hands Bridge, Dylan had taken the 2 minutes back AND put another 10 minutes into Max...Ryan Sandes had pulled even, and Ian Sharman was within a couple minutes. Somehow after giving up so much time so quickly Max must have been able to rally because he held those 2 off...and those 2 are some of the best closers in the business...I bet there was some heavy suffering out there the last 2-3 miles.
ReplyDelete