Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday 061209

 

Made a game day decision to not hammer Flag – just did not feel up to it (my mind was just out of the game … other stresses, work … ).  I geared it back a notch.  Warmed up with jogging down from Chautauaqua to Broadway (1.1 miles), then back up to the Flagstaff Road (2.6 miles) and then Flagstaff.  My PE was easily a notch or two down, but the HR still hovered at high 160s (av – 168).  Nonetheless, I hit the summit split in 43:24 … on a “moderate” run (all the splits were about 20 seconds slower) Whatever.  Bio break and then came down five miles in 28:28 – not hard but pushing the pace a bit above easy (so I guess more “moderate”) and doing more familiarization with pounding down.  HR climbed over the descent (av was 160, although it took about two miles to get to that HR … pushed the end a bit and it climbed 176), pace stuck around 5:40-5 … Added on a cool down mile.  13 miles, 1:40. ~ 2500 feet of climbing.


image

3 comments:

  1. GZ- I think you may be training too hard on your easy days. Maybe try keeping your heart rate super low on your runs for 2 days out off 3, so hard on the 3rd day, and then rest 2 again. This would be a fine way to see if you aren't recovering enough from your runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave - when you say HR super low, what are you thinking in terms of BPM? i have been holding my HR at 140-150 on my easy runs which equates to just under 8 min / mile pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 150 for most people would equate to MAF/maximum aerobic fitness. I will be interested to hear what Dave responds with, but I don't think MAF pace = recovery pace. Maybe another 10 BPM lower? 130-135?

    ReplyDelete