Friday, June 26, 2009

Friday 062609

  • AM – dog jog, 4 miles, AvHR = 134. Max = 149. RHR at wake up was 43 (maybe a 42). First mile was with the dog, last 3 were at 8 minute pace with an average HR of 139.
  • PM – 10 miles. AHR = 144. Hot at the front end. Beat the crazy rains in the afternoon by only a few minutes. Was poorly hydrated for this run – just a lack of focus on that by me in the AM (stupidity). I not only felt it in the run, but I could see it with the HR monitor and the pace.
  • Discovered the Standley Lake HS track … it is an old dirt cinder track. And like most tracks around here, it seems to have a pitch to it (at least according to the Garmin … it consistently saw a rise and a fall for many laps … so does Broomfield HS track).
  • I have been hesitant to put up what times or paces I have been running for these sessions … for one, they have been slow. Certainly much slower than my easy runs have been in the past. I have been fine with that because I have wanted to be a bit more focused on time on my feet, getting more miles (than typical for me), recovering from Mount Washington this week and … focusing on this process of truly trying something different. Generally the pace has been anywhere as slow as mid nine minute pace to as quick as low sevens for this “capped” work. Again, I am not exclusively going to train fully at a low HR level, but will look to elevate it in the later parts of my long runs.
  • As a side note, I have been wondering if getting the Garmin was a bit of a setup for me training “too quickly.” Prior to getting it, I’d run and guesstimate my pace. Typically for any unmeasured training run, I would guess a 7:30 pace. There might have been some days faster than that, there may have been slower than that. With the Garmin, I probably felt compelled to run that fast all the time, if not faster. Which was probably not a good thing in the grand scheme of things …
  • Will be watching the track meet this weekend … and no, I don’t mean USATF Nationals (also webcast).
  • Started playing with Garmin Connect.  I could never get it to synch my activities so I  dumped them all (deleted) and it read this afternoon’s run without issue.  Garmin still however jacks up elevation.  It reads that I ran an elevation change of 1200 feet for this run … Sporttracks reads the much more correct 250 …

33 comments:

  1. i hear people are going to "watch" WS100 online. Do you know how to do that, if it's possible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://webcast.ws100.com/webcast.php

    You can track the field as a whole, individual runners, get email alerts as individual runners hit aid stations, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Brett.
    Who do you like for the win?

    ReplyDelete
  4. With King out, Anton out - it appears the two top guys are Jurek and Mackey. Jurek has won seven times, including a win over Mackey.

    I am taking Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm with you, GZ. What's up with the West's domination of ultra? Is it all about the mountains, you either have them or you don't?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm told the field is stacked this year, but don't recognize too many names. Got to root for the local (ish) boy, so Mackey would be my prediction. The other name I would watch for, aside from Jurek, would be Wardian (east coast). The guy has solid 2:2x marathoning credentials, and is no newcomer to longer races.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wardian is a threat ... good catch.

    Matt - not sure I'd say the west dominates ultras ... but I have not really looked at a west league versus an east league. And for what is worth I think Dave is originally from Maine ... or somewhere in New England. Heck, Carpenter is from Mississippi I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are a lot of the Boulder athletes native? If many of them are transplants (probably the case) than, according to that logic, Boulder should rescind much of its claim as the endurance capital. In other words, most of the successful ultra athletes reside in the west; therefore, we call it like we see it. Hell, Mackey's going to be a Bay Area local fairly soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Few folks I know from here are FROM here. It is a surprise when I meet a CO native actually. Of course I live with two. My kids ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Come on - Wardian just ran the IAU 100K champs last weekend, taking 6th. I got $100 that says he's out of the top 3, maybe out of the top 5. And running marathons on back to back days or weekends is nothing compared to trying this 100 a week after a 100K. He should know better than to try this double after Marathon de Sables.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa - Justin coming to class with his homework done. Good call. It is too bad that he is not fresh ... along with Anton and King not being there. Could have been a helluva track meet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://blog.irunfar.com/1979/06/western-states-prediction-contest.html

    and ...

    http://blog.irunfar.com/2009/06/western-states-group-think-predictions.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wardian interview re: WS100

    http://coachingendurance.com/blog/2009/06/michael-wardian-pre-2009-western-states.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  14. Honestly I'm surprised that Jurek is getting the #1 nod on all of these predictions. I'm just shooting from the hip here and going by memory, so may be off on some of my recollections, but here's what I think.

    Yeah it's a 100, but he couldn't even qualify last year, could he? He's finished off the podium at Way Tool Cool (last 2 years?), Miwok this year (I think), American River (this year?), and then only finished 3rd recently at some stage race in Costa Rica I saw in a mag (RT or TR) this month. I'm not sure if he qualified or got in via lottery this year.

    Buzz's preview said he's definitely beatable under 100 miles and the results have shown that, but I think it's more than just the 100 mile distance that we're seeing. WS is more of a foot race than Badwater, which seems to be more just about outlasting someone. Since 07 then, I just think he's lost a step when everyone else has been taking things to another level. Look at Kyle's time at HR in 08 vs. Jurek's in 07. Different direction, different race, but times not even close.

    Dave can run with Anton and Skaggs in these shorter races (i.e., Moab 50K times comparable, AR50 time not that far off of Anton's). Jurek can't do that. Maybe I'm underestimating the different between 100K at Miwok and 100 at WS, but I'm going Mackey.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I am picking Mackey.

    But ... here's why folks are picking Jurek. Seven wins at WS100, including one over Mackey head to head. And two Spartathlon wins ... and then the Badwater stuff. WS is not just about 100 - it is also about the heat, which Jurek has proven here, Greece and Badwater that he can handle very well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. GZ is right about the Jurek and WS100 "connection." The talk seems to center around it being more than just a 100 miler and he's 7 for 7.

    But talk also seems to think (Buzz?) that if Mackey is close with ~10 to go, that Jurek won't be able to hang.

    Go Mackey!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't forget, Jurek has the course record at states; the second fastest time and former cr was Mike Morton The heat will be un bearable for the race tomorrow, guessing over 105 in the canyons.

    Do I think dm will win? Yes/ Do I think a new course record? Yes but not by much, maybe 15:30.

    I'll be at the finish (and maybe out on the course) watching...

    Jurek is on Dave's level. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't really know what he's talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bam. Wardian, Jurek - I'm looking good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wardian is well off the pace but I'd think it is a touch early totally rule Jurek out. Apparently Hal caught Dave at DT.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WSER: Notable drops include Scott Jurek. Scott dropped at Devil's Thumb after sliding from third at Robinson to ninth at the Thumb. H simply stated, "I went to the well, and the well was dry".

    ReplyDelete
  21. ForestHill and Hal just blew up Dave. According to E Skaggs. That Koerner. All I can say is you don't f--- with the soul patch.

    ReplyDelete
  22. why in the hell isn't my webcast working?

    help.

    ReplyDelete
  23. http://webcast.ws100.com/liveblog.php
    is a better link ...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anton ... what other beta you got ... the feed is pretty sterile ...

    ReplyDelete
  25. cheers, gz.

    what's up with mackey?

    schmidt's an east coaster ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. GZ,

    Nothing more yet. Erik's crewing for Hal, Ian pacing. Erik didn't have time to wait around to see what Dave's issue was. Hal's gonna be tough to beat...that guy's just a maniac. Nicest guy you'll ever meet, hands down. Scott had plantar issues all spring and had to drop; freakin' Hal's had plantar for the past TWO YEARS. Hal's just run SO MANY races. This is Dave's 2nd 100 while Hal can't even tell you how many he's run. Although Dave might technically be "more fit" than Hal, life gets weird after 60 miles, and Hal can handle that with the best of them. I didn't want to say much about Hal leading up to the race because I know he likes to keep things under the radar, but he's one of the craziest race-day competitors I can think of. Races out of his mind compared to his training. It's going to be awesome if he pulls it off two years in a row.

    And, Anita...after her Miwok (barely getting beat by now WORLD CHAMP Kami Semick) and with her international mountain running experience, I can't believe more didn't see this coming. But, I can't believe Nikki isn't closer. And, Jenn had to drop with hamstring issues, which has been a problem for her for at least a year.

    It'll be interesting to see if Dave can get it together, but again, Hal's just so experienced. Still many miles to go...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beginning to look like Mackey might have dropped. Still not into Cal 2 with six others in.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anton, could you comment on Hal's training? The RW interview quoted Dave as saying he'd barely hit 100/week and just seemed very low to me. I know few do the mileage you do, but I'm guessing Hal is well over 100 most weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  29. The comments above will clearly show I overlooked Hal - which was plain stupid of me as he was defending champ.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Justin,

    Regarding Hal and 100 mile weeks. Haha, no. Hal's training is: run three days in a row of 1-2hrs with mostly big vertical (that's all there is in Ashland), take two days off because his foot has blown up. Go win a 50K. Take two days off because he's limping. Run up a couple more peaks, go charge a local road race, take two more days off with exploded foot/knee. Repeat.

    I'm only kinda joking. The dude just goes running. No speedwork, just whatever mileage his various chronic injuries will allow. I do know he was able to get in a couple legitimate long runs (30-50 miles) this build-up, which is notable for that cat. But, if you look at his ultra racing schedule: Chuckanut (50K) in March, 35 miles or so at American River before DNFing in April with blown knee, wins Macdonald Forest 50K in May, WS training camp over Memorial Day, f--ing people up at a STACKED WS100 a month later. Honestly, how he even finishes 100 milers is beyond me. Actually, I'll tell you how: he's a badass.

    Seriously, Hal just rolls with it. I remember crewing for him at the North Face 50 in December. He just charges until he can't charge anymore and lets nothing rattle him. Messed up fuel, no big deal. Screaming plantar? "Well Tony, if I run the downhills hard enough, it'll just go numb." Need anything, Hal? "Yeah, a new pair of legs, dude." Keep in mind, this dude ran the Colorado Trail in 9 days back in 2003. A week after placing 2nd at Leadville. He's wearing M1 for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  31. http://twitter.com/UltraFilm ... (thanks Tim)

    ReplyDelete