- I have (often) been accused of being all over the place with my training. Mixing hard running with easy running. Doing short speedy workouts when I should also be doing longer workouts. And that I don’t come back to the same workouts consistently enough to effectively measure any improvement (or lack thereof). I think that I have come to some realization why: I want to run everything. I want to not only run Pikes well but want to be able to run a decent (for me) 5k or 10k. And then I also want to run R2R2R. And I want to run USATF XC as a master next year. I see guys who are actually somewhat successful at this … Ames, DoubleJ, DD … and guys who take a laser focus … like Elliott (and when he really does, watch out).
- For me, this attitude of all over the place creates a lack of focus and hence a lack of specificity in my training. I have believed that my fitness at 10k has a direct correlation for my ability execute at the marathon, including mountain marathons. There is some correlation, but I do know they are not the same animals. To some extent, I also see this “debate” in the training circles … guys who advocate a “mixed” blend approach, or multi-phasic – where they stress aerobic and anaerobic systems throughout the year (ala DeCastella) versus a more phased approach (ala Lydiard) where the aerobic system is built on and built on until it stagnates and then the anaerobic system is stressed. This puts into question what is the most effective way for me to train right now. Should I be out banging up Linden’s (4 minute hill repeats … well, four if I am on and lucky) or doing easy 18 mile runs with the last 20 minutes uphill and hard? I know that doing 10 x 400 on the track has more direct bearing on performance on a road 10k then it does at Pikes. I know that so it is not a question of understanding that. It is a question of focus and what I want to do. I am coming to a realization that when I can begin to focus more on an event, that will reflect in better focus in my training and workouts. And I think performance … but admittedly, I am not sure.
- Reference … http://www.mensracing.com/athletes/interviews/2005/renatocanova.html and http://www.endurancecorner.com/Intervals_for_Base
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
A thought-realization
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
'... I want to run everything...'
ReplyDeleteI'm a big fan of above said philosophy ;).
I really admire how you and DD are banging it every weekend. In part my lifestyle does not easily lend to that (and I am cool with that - those are choices I have made and am happy with) but I also wonder about how guys like you (and say Bernie Boetcher) ever peak ...
ReplyDeleteI guess I've come to the realization that I may not peak...but I also am grateful that I am even running at all considering I didn't run one step from 21-29.... So just going out there and running times I ran in HS or college is somewhat fine for me...racing has actually become my social outlet to some extent and I just try to go out and do the best I can w/ what I got and have fun... If I can faster, I'll surely take it...but I don't want to miss chances to go out and bang heads as frequently as I can... and each week, beating a 45 year old dd also has some gratification to it ;)...
ReplyDeleteI love the 1 sec diff predicted b/w you and that 45yo for Mt Washington. Any chance we can get a whole video smack down before and after?
ReplyDeletehaha..the final prediction times and seed was done by dd...I assembled about 60 guys from the initial list that I though had a shot to be in the top 50. You were on it. Then dd used that plus a new version of the list (as of a couple days ago) to narrow down to 50 guys... in the end it was his call on times and top 50 and he shoehorned himself 1 second ahead of me...The top 50 bib numbers will come from this list...
ReplyDeleteCool. Gives me another goal!
ReplyDeleteGZ, I sympathize with the lack of focus. I take it to a whole new level with triathlon and also my continued love for cyclocross and trail running. I prefer to call the mixed approach "keeping the fun factor". It is important to peak and focus sometimes. But let's face it. That can be done in 6-8 weeks for most events as long as you keep a high enough fitness level. The rest of the time... have fun with your run!
ReplyDeleteSunny - when are you in Boulder next? We'll have to run the Mesa (and I can stop being a lame ass and get you the JJohnson video).
ReplyDelete