AM – easy jogging with TZ, and then the dogs. 9 miles.
PM – hiked with the Scouts up Green. The kids did great. The hike took longer than I thought, and it was a little tougher on some of the adults than I thought it would be - but the kids did awesome. At one point we were waiting for some of the parents to catch up as we coming down at the Ranger-Greenman connection. To kill time, some of the boys started running back up the trail and then running down the hill. I was watching this. I realized that while I could certainly out run them at this age, it would not be long … before they’d be able to take that laughing free flowing reckless abandon downhill running to greater levels. Sure, someday they’d run with joints crunched from years of running. Or with more care because they hurt in the feet, or realize that they could really hurt themselves if they went ass over tea kettle. But not on this day. They ran free downhill and with an elegant bounce. It was quite beautiful to watch.
One of the parents had a knee starting to complain quite a bit, so I ran from this junction to Chautauqua, and brought the car back up to the lot across from the Flag turnoff. I then ran down Gregory about halfway with a gallon jug of water – as a couple of folks had consumed all theirs. Then back up. Not sure how much running that is – but all told, based on what I know from the route, I am putting the effort at near three miles back and forth.
The gang was pretty well cooked at the end though. On the way home, KZ was quite amused by the folks in the car next to us, cracking up at me. She was convinced it was my visor-wife beater-sunglass get up. Dinner was pasta with PBR, and the kids called for “That Darn Cat” as a movie (sort of a family favorite).
Was thinking of a long run – 20 miles, but I am feeling the effort of Thursday and Friday a touch more than I thought I might today – and the additional Green hike is part of the equation. So – will play tomorrow by ear.
Good thing the rangers did not witness any of these antics on Green. I am sure they could have given out tickets for any number of reasons..... not having your kid on a leash, not having a tag, racing, running too close to the endangered pine bark snail, running with a non approved water jug, too short split shorts, having a good time etc....
ReplyDeleteThat's my big problem with reckless abandon on the downhills, I can't drown out the realization that I can go "ass over tea kettle" and all the possible complications that accompany this approach. I know I should try to make-up times during these sections, but I spend half my time putting on the brakes. Besides slowing me down, it also reminds me just how old my knees are..
ReplyDeleteAnd ... the self slowing down (braking) actually means you are going slower and working harder. It becomes a negative feedback loop.
ReplyDelete