I saw that Mackey was down by about 4 minutes at 20 something miles. I thought it was a pretty good guess at that time to declare him the winner.
Mackey 5:55:39. Louttitt 2nd 5:59:57 N Clark 3rd 6:00:09 Shaman 4th 6:00:31
Mackey keeps it up like this and the old man is in the hunt for UROY.
AM – 3 miles before JZ’s ball game with Lucy along the tracks.
PM – JZ and one of his neighbor buds were heading to the dirt pits on their bikes so I ran with them over to there. I then swung back and got KZ and she biked with me for a bit. Winds were just starting to pick up as we finished. Easy 10 miles. Didn’t plan to go this long but KZ wanted to ride …
Clark is a bum for not running ten seconds faster!
ReplyDeleteMackey was 8mins back at 22mi I saw. Canadian Jason goes out hard. Was amazed he held on for second. That must have hurt.
ReplyDeleteFour Coloradans in the top-6. Not shabby.
ReplyDeleteAndy Henshaw (former COS) cranked a 6:47 at 100k Champs, too. Fastest American time in years and probably the first NA road performance in a long time that should make Wardian a little nervous.
With old man Ricklefs coming in 4th at 7:09 it was a crazy good morning all-around for Front Range ultrarunners.
George, same as you, when I saw that Dave had cut Loutitt's lead in half after only 5 trail miles I knew who the winner was going to be. Pretty sweet how 2-4 were within 30 seconds of each other. AR ends with a nice little 2.5mi/1000' road climb to the finish with open views and I can just imagine those three guys gruntin' it out trying to catch each other all being in sight. Classic road race style from start to finish!
2:41 (Loutitt) is pretty crazy quick to go through Beals. I went 2:50ish the year I ran it (pretty much the same as Dave/Nick/Ian, etc. today), but was able to maintain momentum on the trails better over the second half. Dave paced it perfectly.
2:41 at what split - 26.7? So he went about 2:30 for the first half and 3:30 for the second half. Like Derrick said, I can just imagine how desperate those last couple miles were seeing not one but two people closing fast.
ReplyDeleteJason Loutitt was off the front from the get go, running sub 6 early and 2:40 through the marathon. He was out of sight within 3 miles.
ReplyDeleteRan solo in 4th all day pretty much. Caught sight of Ian with half a mile of trail to go before the 3.5 mile climb out from the river. Passed him with two to go. Visual on Jason at one to go and got within 5 meters. Full-on sprint with 400 to go. 4 mins off course at 30 miles...ugh.
Andy Henshaw is a STUD.
I read on Ian's blog that Jason lost 7 minutes at the same place you seemed to (and a bunch of other leaders)...what a pain.
ReplyDeleteHere's Jason's blog for those who haven't seen it. Should be an interesting write up soon.
ReplyDeletehttp://runningthroughmountains.com/
Nick - congratulations. You have finished at least a couple of ultras now with the all out kick. Sounds painful even as I type it.
ReplyDeleteAs Nick guessed in his post earlier in the week, Dave claimed to be under trained - and "you've been warned." I am pretty sure Dave does not go to any race without seriously thinking about being in the mix for the win.
Will be interesting to see if Loutitt heads to WS (according to his site).