Saturday, April 30, 2011

Saturday 043011

AM - got out for the Kohl 5k. Saw Lucho, Brandon, Aaron, JT all at the start. JV was there too taking pictures. The competition was going to be deep (Adam Rich went sub 16 - impressive on such a windy day as I think there was a steady push from the west at 20mph during the race), and I figured I'd benefit regardless of the outcome: a decent race, a decent workout or an opportunity to run with JZ. I told JZ that if things were not going well, I'd probably circle back for him and he seemed positive about that. In retrospect, I guess that set the board.

So while I did not feel great at the start, I got out and ran relaxed and steady for the first mile (5:38). But, the weeds set in and I just lost any motivation in second mile. I could hear myself saying, "okay, time to go" but then saying "nah." At a mile and a half, stepped off and circled back to JZ - and my head went from dark on not running well in this 5k to light and joyful. Circling back and seeing JZ smile as I came back for him made the choice simply obvious.   Photos courtesy of the Kennards – thanks Aaron, Nan.  This might be the last shot you get of me with both feet in the air the same time as JZ.

jz3
 
It is, however, challenging to see your kid go into the hurt locker. JZ definitely did the last half mile, and was pushing. I found myself mentally saying "yeah man, dig" but then also "stop that man!"
jz1
KZ volunteered for this event.  She is in the famous red coat in the background (here is why it is famous).
jz2
 
I’d say his form is a heck of a lot better than his old man’s.
Typically after a race effort like this I am a bit irked, but I don't feel any of that right now. I had a good time out there with the community of runners-bloggers, neighbors and my family. Hung out a bit with JT, $100, and Brandon a bit afterwards, shooting the breeze. Got some well deserved crap for stepping off and not letting those guys get their due in a square up beating me (which they probably would have got had I continued to go for it). My take is they did.  Photo courtesy of Brandon F.
Kohl's 5k

Also learned that I have been running the course a little wrong. There is one little swing around a block that I have been missing that brings it right to 5k.

12 miles on the day.  End of April …280 miles, 43 hours, 30k something vertical, 5 days off in there too.  Bring on May.  1202 miles on the year.

This is a great story about a runner and his dog.

When I ran tonight I was wondering if there were any "odd" records at Pikes like parent-sibling combo, married couple combo ... and then those could be combo'd as well ...Ascent, PPM, Double. I am guessing the Burrell father son team is the fastest on the parent sibling front for the Ascent and the Marathon.  Buzz (Dad) ran a 2:40, 4:16 and Galen ran a 2:18, 3:45 - for general numbers of 4:38 (nearly better than the average ascent and just over 8 hours for the RT.  Of course, this happened over a 26 year period so … In any case, it is a tough mark to beat I think.  Unless it has been already beat?  I doubt it …

Also I have heard that Comrades gives out a variety of medals based on time.  I don’t know (but I am sure I could research their cutoffs) what they are, but I think that would be cool at Pikes.  Sub 2:30, 3, 3:30 type of Ascents … sub 4, 5, 6 marathons.  Or whatever …

Brandon has anger management issues with my comments.

image

16 comments:

  1. Good to see you today. I have gushing respect for you for turning around and running it in with JZ. His smile when he saw you? He must have just been so happy that you wanted to run with him. Huge props dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those guys can give you crap forever but little Z won't be so little for long - take the opportunity while you have it. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lucho, HappyTrails.

    Added a few pix from the day. He might of been smiling because he knows he can keep up with me in a kick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was our job to give you some crap even in your Daddy Does Best moment. Thanks for hosting us in your own little 5K down there. Jealous I don't have one I can walk to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cropped down a couple of those pics of you on my site. Cool to see the smile on your sons face running in with you. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brandon - Aaron, solid work this AM. I AM DONE WITH THE WIND. BEGONE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great race and nice move turning back for a PB!
    I'm guessing the Carpenter's have the fastest married couple times on Pikes - I think she's gone around 3:30/5:30.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 3:16 and 5:30 (thereabouts).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see you again, and thanks for the PBR. Nice job running back for JZ as well, but you'll be taking flack for a while for turning back just as I was making my move on you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kudos on turning around to run w/ your son. I'm sort of in the same boat as you - although my boat is slower. I've run about a 1/2 dozen races w/ my 2 oldest kids (12, 10). The combination of personal pride to see how well they do, the realization that soon they will be finishing ahead of me in races and the goodness of being a Dad doing stuff w/ the kids - makes it worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those pics of you two running together are priceless. That is a memory that both of you will share for a long time. Some of my most satisfying experiences as a runner have been doing races with my son - and having him enjoy the time together and want to do more. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Must've been a priceless moment - one neither of you will forget.

    I'd be curious to know the fastest father/son combo in the same year. Not curious enough to look it up myself, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, better story and pics by doing it the way you did.

    Awesome job for your son!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. Thanks all. I have raced before with JZ ... just not this much of a 5k, and we discussed whether I would run with him in the days before the race. He actually told me that he wanted me to race on my own so that I beat my time from last year. I am not sure how much is that him, or him mirroring me? This is the kid who told me to not let that "mountain give me any lip" when he asked if I was doing Pikes (last winter) and I waffled.

    I was talking about this with Lucho a bit ... I am not sure how much of him running is him doing it because he wants to, versus how much he is doing it because he wants to do it cause his father does it. I am glad he likes baseball more right now in any case.

    But, yeah - the pic is burned in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, loved reading it. I'm looking forward to the day i can run with the kids too. They certainly haven't caught the bug from me, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yea your kids could care less how much money you make, what you do for a living, or anything - they just want your time. As a matter of fact, they probably wish we were all unemployed so they can hang around with us more. It probably means more to him than you'll ever know (or that he even knows) what you did that day.

    ReplyDelete