A friend-coworker of mine just started running recently and is engaging in a “Couch to 5k” program. He has been a pretty avid biker for 20 something years, bit is engaging in running to mix it up a bit.
He asked me “if you could give one piece of an advice to me, from a seasoned runner to a novice runner, what would that be?”
My reply was, “be patient and let it come to you. It will come be patient.”
He rolled his eyes and said, “okay, whatever. That is great. I know that. What would be the next piece of advice be then?”
I told him he had to wait for that. :)
Then after the chuckle I told him this: “Be consistent. There will be days where it sucks. There will be days where it is great. But keep at it consistently and it will come. And the best way to be consistent with it is to do it in a way you enjoy. If you hate running in the morning, don’t do that. If you love running trails over roads, do that. Find a way to love it so that you look forward to doing it. That will drive consistency and that will in turn drive results.”
Karl is mulling over a 100 race he’d host with some good cake.
Yeah, I did throw my name into the hat for Ignite via a Spark submission. Here is an example of what that is all about.
Jerry posted his Boulder 100 report.
Legs generally feel fine, but I can feel a little bit of crankiness in the hip connective tissue – in the front where the torso meets the thigh. It is a bit more an issue on the right side than the left (reflecting the interesting feelings of imbalances I felt in that run – probably most reflective of my lawn mower foot).
Good advice...have given similar advice, but usually in the reverse order.
ReplyDeleteKeep recovering!
"If you hate running in the morning, don’t do that." - How about a guy who loves running in the morning, but my body seems to hate it? Tried various eating before/after. Tried stretching/not-stretching...no dice! Result is legs no workie very well.
ReplyDelete"I’d probably show up if I was able"...hmmmm, sounds like someones got the bug ;)
ReplyDeletenmp - I also have lots of excuses.
ReplyDeleteDerrick, yeah I usually start with the enjoy as well, but this guy was already dug into the program a bit.
Rob - many find early morning both beneficial (get it done, enjoy the sunrise, set up for the day) but challenging (waking up, slower, legs are sluggish, etc). That being the case, I suggest a few things:
1.) start with brisk walking.
2.) after that do a few harder strides at a pace much faster than what you will run at. This may open up the legs to be ready for a more comfortable pace.
3.) alternatively, realize that you are not going to kill in the morning, and just go with what you got. Don't plan key workouts then because you may not get the results you want. Just use these runs to get the basic benefit, relax and enjoy the run.