Sunday, October 16, 2011

October 15-16, 2011 Boulder 100

21:54.  2nd in the 100, but probably really 3rd overall, as a guy in the 24 hour race finished 100 miles before the two in the hundred.  Apparently it was back and forth between me and the guy who won the 100, until the last lap where he blew my doors off

So much to say about this event – but I am going to keep this initial post short … I will probably look to throw up a few more things as I mull over them …  A few short things for now.

1.) THANK YOU.  I am hugely grateful, appreciative and honored to have such a caring loving family to support me in this folly.  I love you Tracy, Kali, John, Don, Carrie.   You are all way more than I ever ever deserve.  THANK YOU.

2.)  THANK YOU.  Holy crew.  I had the benefit on an incredible set of folks who came out to watch me, cheer me on, and run with me – even when my running was their walking.  Huge thanks to Marty K, J.P., Aaron, Brandon, Lucho, Peter H, Wyatt, Jeff, JV, Homie, Bob Sweeney, Pittbrownie.  There were no less than 10 guys pacing me!!  These guys took out their Saturday afternoons, Saturday nights – and when people SHOULD be sleeping and ran and walked around the reservoir with me, keeping me going, keeping me amped, keeping me on the mission. 

I was asked (during and after) if I wanted to quit.  The honest answer I gave was “yes, but I won’t.”  Part of the reason why was I did not want to have deal with the on going ridicule and sarcasm from these guys.  Yeah, it would have been in fun, but the message is this – their being there was one of those things I called on to keep going when I thought about not. 

I also did not want to disappoint my family.  I know that they wouldn’t have cared if I stopped at 50 or 75 or had not done this at all.  But I said I was going to do it.  They came out to see that.  I had to do it. 

Seeing my family at the aid stations, seeing the band of brothers sitting at the back of the car hooting it up, drinking brew as I stumbled into the lot in the middle of the night … I am an incredibly lucky and fortunate man.  If everyone in the world had this sort of support, it be a pretty magical place.  I live in an amazingly beautiful world.

Here is some video from Brandon that gives you a little insight of how these folks took care of me.  Keep in mind, this after they sat around in a parking lot for 2 hours waiting for me.

GZ @ Boulder 100 from Brandon Fuller on Vimeo.

3.)  OW.  Without a doubt, this is the most physically destructive thing I have ever done to myself (in endurance sport).  It hurt A LOT.  It still hurts A LOT.  I was woefully underprepared for this event, and my body began to tell me that at 35 miles.  I could begin to feel not only soreness, but the odd imbalances I have (that we all have) – as one will tend to feel as they flex something a million times.  By mile 70, I had a meat cleaver working its way in my right quad with ever step.  I had a rock hammer tapping at my left shin in off setting concert.  My under carriage was chaffed to bruised levels.

Did I say I was woefully underprepared for this event?  Wow.  I paid for that big time in the second half. 

4.)  But to talk about the physical and not account for the mental in this event would be a ridiculous oversight.  There are dozens of examples that I can give of this – but clearly the last few laps are a great example.  With three laps to go, I was physically done.  I had been doing the math all day and had gone from considering a 16 hour finish to an 18 hour finish to a 20 hour finish to a 22 hour finish to a 24 hour finish.  I had gone from popping about just over an hour a lap to two and a half hours.  That’s right:  2.5 hours for 7 miles.  I was struggling to hold 20 minute mile pace averages in light of my run-walk speed, aid station check ins, getting food.  I was convinced I would finish – but had set an expectation in my head that a sub 24 would be an okay debut.

I finished up my loop with Brandon.  It was 5AM.  I was ready to do my last lap.  Folks had been up all night and were either sleeping or had taken off.  I was ready to churn it out on my own.  Bob stepped in and said he would go with me.  I announced that I had four hours to go seven miles, and without missing a beat, he said “Bullshit.  You are going to be back here before 7AM and get under 22.”  I whined a bit that my run was not much faster than my walk.  I whined I was tired.   Bob told me to get on the tangent and keep moving and “let’s go catch that light up there,” pointing to a woman who (several laps behind me) was 100 meters up and had just left the aid station.

On the way out to the dam, he said, “okay, give me an every thing you got power 50.”

<insert whimpering sounds here>

Now, my pace probably went from 17 minutes a mile to a zippy 15, but there was a little improvement.  Over and over.  My shuffle run, and then a bit more of a run – most of which Bob could walk either way.  It was pure TORTURE.  But, as many have said, you can will your body to do things when it is screaming at you with every fiber not too.  Mind you, it may mean you are laying on the floor later that morning naked under a blanket unable to get to the shower but, well, you get the picture.

We got back at 6:56 for a finish time under 22 hours.  Left to my own devices, I would have strolled in a hour slower – easily.

5.)  Already the questions have come in if I will do one of these again.  Or what is next on the agenda.   I don’t know that – I certainly don’t outright rule it out.   I know I wouldn’t do it again in the same fashion if I were take another one on.

I have a whole new level of understanding on what it takes to perform in these events – and with that a more intimate respect for the performances now that I have done one.  I respected a 15 hour 100 mile before – I still do.  I just understand it a bit better now.  I have a new insight on what on a 44 hour HR is, or 2 of these hundred mile races in 2 weeks.  I don’t really know that stuff, but I have a better vision on it.

I learned a lot about fueling, clothing, logistics, pit stops,etc.  But probably most importantly,I learned that these events – at least for me at this point – call in a lot of people who care about you to spend a good amount of time and energy taking care of you.  I will admit that seems a bit selfish to me.  So while I will admit, I have already pondered what it would take to pull off one of these where I could “roll” with it for 100, I am not sure I am ready to quite be that selfish for a bit.  I am however very willing to provide that support back to the nut jobs that want to do this.

Again – more later …

33 comments:

  1. I have said it many times already, but, great job!! Watching you out there made me simultaneously think "better you than me" and "I wish I were doing that!". I am still not sure.

    Awesome to see the outpouring of support from your family and friends, especially JZ getting so amped up for you. Way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting me be a part of it. I needed some 100 mile crack to get me through the winter. It was fun to see you go through that transformation over the course of the day.

    It is selfish but 1 day out of 365 (for starters) isn't that big a deal. They come to support you because they love you -- or want to make fun of you -- but its all good. Could you do it without help? Probably. Would it be as fun? Never. When we were talking about quitters/quitting/etc. I passed along my sole piece of advice on the night..."you have nothing better to do right now". Foo Fighters was last weekend!

    The traveling circus of a party, the atmosphere, the comradery, the destruction, the victories, the defeats...its all epic stuff. In a world where we are mostly defined by shopping malls and soccer games, getting down deep and doing something stupid that shows what you are made of is as appealing to me as it gets. Hopefully, this race gave you a glimpse of all of that. Where you take it is up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Leadville registration opens next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to run another lap or two, but felt like I'd be hogging the miles from all the other pacers out there. Great job!

    And thanks for the post-run party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea what Brandon said. You seem like a good family man - a lot of Dads sit there Al Bundy style all day Saturday and Sunday watching college and pro football. Don't feel guilty about doing this every once in awhile. Besides, we all know who the boss is and they can always say no to us. :)

    I hope you recover fast and start feeling relatively normal in a couple days.

    Yea, I can't wrap my mind around a 23 hour Hardrock...much less a 48 hour Hardrock (or anything)...because of the time, lack of sleep...not to mention remoteness and distance between aid stations. And yet there are folks who do shizzot like that without pacers. Some folks (Matt Mahoney and others) even do it without drop bags.

    I feel fat and slow.

    And then I read about a 100 year old man who ran a marathon this weekend. And then I read about an 80 year old man who ran 3:15 at the Toronto Marathon this weekend.

    And I feel very fat and slow without any excuse.

    I hope you have a shit eating grin on your face for quite awhile after this weekend. YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy for you George and glad to hear how well you persevered. I'm simultaneously happy I got to jog a partial lap with you while you were all smiles and wishing I would have been out at the evening sufferfest party. After finishing my 26 miles for the day I was happy that I wasn't doing laps on end all day like you were. But I kept thinking about you still out there running later in the day as I was playing with the kids, etc. Then driving home from a movie that night I thought, its going to be a long night for George. As it was. And yet you made it happen, and now nothing can take that away from you. So huge congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it man! Congrats. In two weeks you'll be surprised how good you feel and be ready for more :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to miss out on all the fun this weekend, and especially on spectating the pain, but congrats on suffering for hours on end. Nothing quite like it.

    Hope you'll be up and running in time for some more basic fun in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome. Very cool to see you get that done. Welcome to the dark side!

    ReplyDelete
  11. (4) speaks to the beauty of the sport (100s especially). Seems like for a given physical condition everyone has some range (+/- X hrs, min, sec depending on the event) that really just comes down to how much you want to push or just cruise to the finish. In retrospect, I am sure you are glad you pushed the last lap versus just cruising it in.

    And, I think you just called me a nut job in the last paragraph ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was at REI some time ago with one of my daughters restocking my supplies of gels, chews, etc. In response to some comment from the cashier my daughter beamed up to proudly say "my Dad runs 100 miles!". Probably even more cool for them as it is for us. Congrats GZ! Glad you got to share this with so many friends and family.

    Rest up, savor the pain, and get back to tip-top shape in time for the Chubster. I beleive it is 12/10 and not 12/17 as you have it scheduled on your sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no doubt you'd finish. Those last miles give you new perspective on what a 7 mile run means. Proud of you!
    tim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Huge Congrats GZ - standing and applauding for you.
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats GZ!!! Your a Rock Star! Wishing you a healthy and speedy recovery! Enjoy some down time you earned it!
    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so psyched for you, George! I saw that 8:22 first half split on Saturday and immediately thought, "Ouch, gonna be a rough night." But you grinded and grinded and eventually finished this arbitrary thing you set out to do.

    There's nothing like the first time. I remember after my first 100 finish feeling like so many things were now possible, like the scope of possibility in my life had just expanded SO MUCH. Beyond graduating high school or college, how often does a person get to experience that? Not very. Which hints at what this is all about--personal education and growth. Fortunately for you, you're such an awesome dude that people automatically want to go out and be a part of that and support you in it. Awesome stuff. Recover well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is awesome. Thanks for sharing the story. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Job George! You're a "nut job" now too! I must say you had the "Dream Team" of crews!

    Regardless of how you feel now...I bet you'll be thinking of your next hundred in a few weeks time, if not sooner!

    Recover well.

    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  19. well done GZ. inspiring and baffling simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats, sounds like you had a very enlightening weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats! 8:24 is a heckuva 50-mile debut, particularly on your way to 100.

    I'm 19 days shy of my first attempt at the distance -- reading your story, including the build-up, advice, and recount, has been invaluable. Thanks, as always, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic, and great writeup! Enjoy a well-earned rest!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely awesome and congratulations again.

    Glad I could participate, it was a lot of fun, and good to meet the family and other folks. IPA and food good :)

    Great pictures from JV.

    PS - I don't know what you thought, but to me the venue was fine. High in the San Juans? No. But the volunteers were nice, and running under the moon and stars with the lights of Boulder over the Res, was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  24. >"Great pictures from JV"

    My mistake, JV and Bob's photos were in the Monday post.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice job George! Huge congrats! So great getting that first one under your belt and know all about the little things you'd do differently or how you'll train for the next one. ....which I expect you will.

    Recover well and enjoy reliving it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. HUGE congrats sir! One heck of a first 100!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is great George - savor this for a while and keep that big grin on your face as you most certainly went out there and earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jeff V - thank you for being there. I can't say I'd recommend them to anyone. But if you want to do one, once you make that plunge to be there - I am there.

    Brandon - thank you for going on a 7 mile walk with me at 3 o clock on a Saturday morning. Holy shit that was tough. "WHAT THE HELL ELSE WOULD YOU BE DOING RIGHT NOW?" is a mantra right up there with embrace the suck. I owe ya man.

    Brownie - thanks again. You had an amazing weekend: 5k PR, donut run, this walk thing ... wow.

    Brett - thanks for the nice words. Having gone through this now, I have a whole different appreciation for the folks that do these. 44 hours at HR? That would mean another 23 hours beyond what I did. No thank you.

    Aaron – thanks for coming out. Yeah, I am sort of dumbfounded at the event – even having done it. I mean, I ran with you around 10AM or something? I was still out there when the sun went down. And nearly as it came back up. It is just insane when I think about that.

    Nmp – I am glad I pushed that last lap too. There is certainly a tough spot in there with how bad you want it – especially at miles 70 on … I was very content to cruise it in, and I am not convinced that I could self choose to push myself on that last lap. Kudos to Bob.

    Anton – thanks! When I went through that split, I knew I was a little hot but it felt SO easy. I knew I was going to slow down, but I had no idea that it would be so much. We were having (far from an intellectual) debate at my place afterwards if I was too fast, underprepared, both – better to go out at 10 minute pace and hold that or if by going out that slow that you just slow down more. I might email you or put a post up on these concepts. But yes, I definitely have a new perspective on these events … I am just not sure yet what I will do with that perspective.

    Mtnrunner2 – thanks again man. Yeah – the entire out and back thing was not an issue for me like some thought it would be. I actually enjoyed it because it sort of set up for FOUR aid stations on every lap. You had the one on the far side of the lake, but then when you came back you had the main check in as you passed it going out around the lot, at the checkin and then back again when you went out. So I had the benefit of taking a soup and moving with it knowing I could get another aid in 500 yards. And they were very nice.

    Keirnan – I think I would have been a little faster than that at CP50. I will need to go back and check but in addition to being slower here for the 100, I felt a helluva better there. I got through first 25 in 3:30ish mid, high? And I was feeling really good after that (*until I discovered I was off course). I am confident that I would have been sub 8 or pretty close there on that course … (way more impressive there than this pancake course in Boulder)

    Footfeathers – you sir lied to me. You said 100 miles was not far. Not true. ;) You are also insane for doing as many as you have this year.

    Justin - you know I have a date with a different chick that weekend of Pb.

    Craig – thanks and hope we get to share some miles.

    Nick – mmm … we’ll see. Kiddoze may have some soccer games that need attending to.

    Cb – thanks! I kept wondering if my ankles were going to look like some of the shots you had posted (they felt like it)

    Patrick – thanks for coming out. I actually feel a lot better today already. Yesterday was pretty tough.

    MikeinAustin – thanks! Maybe I will see you at the GC sometime.

    Darren – the croo was awesome. I am hugely in their debt.

    FatDad, Mtunpaved, Mike-hinterberg, Happy Trails, Rob, Derrick, – thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Having gone through a similar experience this summer, I loved reading your thoughts and found my head nodding the whole time. You say, "I was woefully underprepared for this event." Unless you're runnin' 100's like Footfeathers, I'm not sure it's possible to go into them any other way.

    As I've reflected on Leadville, the running 100 miles part was cool, but it was all the people that were up there that make me want to go back next year. Words are still hard to come by when describing the feeling of spending a day with my pacer, crew, and other friends that are running/pacing. It produces a deep bonding and satisfaction that not many things in life can even come close to.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh yeah....CONGRATS! How could I forgot that part. Very inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Woody. Perfect. Bingo. You nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Finally getting around to reading your post. Awesome job out there! Hope you get to enjoy a little down time (and a few IPAs) before getting after it on a weekly basis.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jaime - I did a few weeks of IPAs this past week.

    ReplyDelete