Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Monday 101711

No running obviously.  As expected my legs were physically thrashed.  Once I got going, I could move about okay, but stairs, sitting, getting up … UGH-orama.  I can almost feel a cold coming on which would not surprise me given that I probably kicked my immune system in the teeth yesterday.  Or the day before.  Whenever that was.  I was surprised at how mentally tired I was.  I was just moving mentally at a lower gear all day.

This is the guy who finished 100 miles in the 24 hour run first.  But the actual first place 100 mile finisher was Jerry Armstrong.  Apparently he is also a Broomstock resident so I will have to see I look him up.

Enjoyed this podcast from Lucho.  My son was listening it too me and muttered in the back of the car “so what I am saying is if you have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at mile 90, you will puke.”  This is from the kid that I picked up at school this afternoon and I asked what he was going to work on when he got home:  piano, homework, what?  His answer?  “Fueling.”  Crikey.

All these posts are incredibly beautiful with their photos.  They tell stories on their own versus the words telling the stories and the photos augmenting that.  A mantra to live by?  “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did but they will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou

Mtnrunner2  has a real name by the way.  When I introduced him as much to fellow bloggers they all looked at me with that sort of “who?” look and then I said, “ya know, Mtnrunner2.”  They get the awareness expression: “Oh yeah, Fun with gravity guy.  Cool.  He’s in the family.”  Anyway – his post on pacing me.  Funny thing I have a general idea when he was out there – some time before dark and well into the night but I couldn’t tell you the time of day he showed up or left.

6 comments:

  1. I got a cold that lasted 2 weeks after Hinson Lake, hopefully you can kick yours quicker. Try and get out for a walk later today...maybe around your block...the more movement the better for recovery I think. Speed up as you loosen up. Donuts and beer are good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have a bit of flu-like symptoms for a couple days after a 100. The residue from these runs is the worse part; best just to accept it and let it run its course. Don't rush anything. Drink a ton of water, eat some fish and cottage cheese. Sleep is your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, definitely borderline flu like. Interesting. Glad to hear that I am not alone with that. Fish and cottage cheese? What the heck is up with that?

    And yeah, I am walking a helluva lot better today. Amazingly so actually. I even took the stairs at work (4 stories) ... mostly because I would have been too annoyed to stand in the elevator and stop at every floor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine what you're feeling right now. I'd be thinking: "Gee, I give you legs all that practice for years and years, and you still kill me like this?" WTH

    Joe Grant's a super-talented guy all around. I talked to him briefly at Golden Gate apparently and he lugs around a DSLR on runs (!) with a high-quality short lens on it. And works wonders.

    Re: relative obscurity. Being a largely solo runner who doesn't race keeps you under the radar. Anyway, I'm more of a hobby photographer with a running problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you're able to go to work - wouldn't want to miss any of that due to some little walking problem!! :)

    I am probably owe of the few people who know mtbrunner2's real name...yet I've never met him personally!! I should get some sort of award for that, right?

    Congrats again, GZ, so in awe of your awesome accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jill.

    I am glad that I am also one of the few that know mtnrunner2's "secret name" (that is funnier to me as my kids recently had me read the Kane series by Riorden)

    ReplyDelete