I picked this up in my reader today. I recall the day that Chris died. I was working at the Daily Camera at that time, and happened to be up in the Sports department. Sandrock, Jason H and I were up there b.s.’ing and the message came in. We were floored. A kid who was a 4.0 student in biochemistry and development cellular molecular biology, homegrown in Aspen, an All American was killed on Flagstaff riding his bike. It was incredibly sad.
… Back to typical blogging …
I am thinking this a conundrum for Lucho.
Boulder has a sports Hall of Fame event coming up. I worked with Creedon at the Camera.
I am finding this guy’s photography and writing is some of the best running related stuff on the ‘net.
I really need to put the 4 loop pass on the list for next year.
Given that Daily Camera outted these guys, I wonder how long it is before this race gets shut down by OSMP.
Easy half an hour this afternoon – four miles. … That is it until Saturday AM. Tomorrow will be assembly of all the crap in the car.
Good luck out there, GZ. Jealous. Nothing the first time...
ReplyDeleteGive Marshall's 10 commandments a review (posted on Woody's blog).
http://www.co-runner.com/2011/06/sjs-50-on-saturday.html
They seem kind of simple and trite, but they are oh so true. Definitely worth remembering during the run.
Have a good one, and I can't wait to read your perspective on the whole thing.
"Nothing LIKE the first time..." As in, there's nothing like that first time. Eh, whatever. Go have fun.
ReplyDeleteGot it CB - thanks for the kind words! To remind everyone of the 10:
ReplyDelete1. Expect a journey and a battle
2. Focus on the present and set intermediate goals
3. Don't dwell on the negative
4. Transcend the physical
5. Accept your fate
6. Have confidence you will succeed
7. Know that there will be an end
8. Suffering is OK
9. Be kind to yourself
10. Quitting is not an option
Don't make it too complicated, just use this one for 1-10:
ReplyDelete"ahhhhh, fuck it, here goes nothin'"
Works in all circumstances.
I like it! That need to be the title of your book, PG.
ReplyDeleteor
afihgn
for short.
We had a term for our Moto-rally racing team.
ReplyDeleteP. O. R. - Push on...REGARDLESS. It was our response to the 'Force majeure' term the race directors used to cover their asses...
p.o.r. on Saturday. I'll be on east coast time surely checking for updates after my race and thinking about 'yous guys' out there running further and faster than me when I'm out there. To day you'll be an inspiration for me on Sat is a little gay, but...
Meh, it's hard to argue with a sub 2:50 marathon at Kona. In 2002 I came off the bike 44th place after a horrible ride and I went for broke immediately. I went through 13.1 miles in low ~1:19. At mile ~24 when I moved in to 10th place my wheels completely came off and I fell to 13th. 44th to 13th wasn't bad though, but had I simply held back and ran more even I felt I could have run ~2:45 which would have placed me top 5. One of my biggest regrets... not even pacing that day.
ReplyDeleteGeorge,
ReplyDeleteGood luck this weekend! Your blog nation will be pulling for you. Here's a cool quote I saw on the Badwater site last year. I'm still trying to figure out what it means, but I like it anyway: "Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." - Carl Jung. So go out and awaken, or something like that.
Imagine a good IPA hovering in front of you, that ought to work. Then, after mile 70, hallucinate an IPA in front of you.
ReplyDeleteAspen 4-Pass: Yeah, man. Though after tackling only one pass in each of two days (granted there was snow and the intention was not speed), I can say it will be quite a day. Harder than Buchanan/Pawnee with more water crossing. Equals awesome.
Patrick - between these quotes, I could start a new slogan t-shirt company. Great stuff.
ReplyDeleteHave a great run Rob.
Lucho - like they said ... go out hard and pop ... just don't pop too badly.
Phil - thanks! If I get what that means and remember it, I will be sure to share.
Mtnrunner2 - IPA is chillin ...