Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wednesday 101211

Crazy day at work so I did not get out until the evening - but it was beautiful.  Nice big moon rising, cool temps.  Got me thinking this could be a bit of a preview of some of my Saturday running.  5 miles easy.

I can see that I am both scared shitless of what I am about to do and totally disrespectful of the magnitude of what I am about to take on.

I can see that 100 miles is insanely far.  I can see this will be 2x any length run I have done, and probably at least that in terms of time as well.  I know it is going to hurt, and probably for a long long long time.

Then I ordered a keg for a post race party.  While I was doing that I was thinking, that is sort of like "hey 100 miles, SCREW YOU.  I got you.  Meh."  Not smart to disrespect the ultra gods that way.  I might end up being a sacrifice that they burn slowly.

I am excited:  I get to run.  And run.  And run.  And run.  All day.  With some friends.  With some family.  I get to test myself in a way that I once imagined that was beyond my capabilities.  I get to forge a new path in my life.   And then I get to take a nap.  And then I get to drink some brew.  How awesome is that?

Then I could feel every niggle, every jiggle, every tendon, every fabric of my bones as I ran tonight.  Nothing wrong of course-  just that crazy over analysis you do when you are wondering if everything is alright.

I caught myself seeing all this and realizing this is all part of the fun.

Oh yeah, my place Sunday at 3.

7 comments:

  1. Soak it all up and savor the moment man - have a blast with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy! Look forward to hearing how it goes. The first one is always so memorable. The beer will make it all better after.

    Beer of choice?? Dark Ale or Stout is soothing, but all good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a blast out there! Can't wait to hear about it. Ignore any logic, reasoning, nagging or desperate pleas your mind might throw at you and keep going toward that celebration keg! Great idea that keg. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shouldn't "Ultra Gods" be capitalized? The disrespect is getting out of hand...

    Seriously...have a great time out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like I missed a momentous decision-post on Monday (?) when I was out of town. Wow, so the 100 is really on. Impressive, and you will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All - thanks!

    Avery IPA - you are all invited.

    ReplyDelete