Saturday, December 11, 2010

Saturday 121110

Little tough to navigate through the results for club nats because of the age sorting they do (masters men), but it looks like Magill took the win, leading his team to that title as well. More on locals competing there here. If you really want to be humbled, check the open results. 196 guys under 32. You will probably never hear of all but 2 or 3 of them.

Free local neat thing to check out with the young ones – a pretty expansive Christmas village over at Arapahoe and 95th.

AM – early. Recorded a podcast while running, but it was mostly me talking in circles about doping in ultras. Scratched it. 6.5 miles easy.

Mid day – got back out, and the winds had picked up. Did a short warm up and got back to the local hill, 8 repeats again, this time in 18:59. WTF? The other day 8 of these shelled me, with the HR reaching 185 over the 8 and it taking me more than 21 minutes. Today was a max of 176 and over two minutes faster. Case for the central governor or what? Still nicely worked after these and rounded it out another 6.5 with the warm down. Not going to sweat the difference here but I will look to continue to do these periodically as they are a nice short challenge, are less than a half mile from my door. I bet if I did them with someone else tomorrow I could make them really hurt and take an other two minutes off the whole set.

image

Oh yeah, wore my newly arrived Crosslites. The grip on these are sick. They squeal when I walk in our kitchen.

Off to PA next week. Lots of predictions for precip there.

GOALS 2011: I keep at least one full complete honest month of a food log and post it here.

Enjoyed this post.

I need to study up for this test next week.

5 comments:

  1. 1. I guess the hill was trail re: the Crosslites?

    2. Definitely will join you on that food blog in '11. Just helps period

    3. The governor is explained in Fitzgerald's book? Elaborate on the run. . . ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 - yes
    3 - mostly covered in Noakes book but Fitzgerald also references it highly I think (from what I have seen him post on line regarding his Brain Training book).

    See http://anodynerunning.blogspot.com/2010/12/congratulations-and-still-laid-up.html

    In any case, an extension from Noakes' theory is that folks progress incredibly fast on fitness as they first start particular events or training - in fact faster than the body can actually physically train. Noakes proposes that it is the central governor, the brain that limits you initially to protect you and that the limits change faster than the body actually does.

    Or I could have just been having a bad day on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops, screwed up the cut and paste there ...see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_governor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try to hit those trails in Oil City, the crosslites will be good for that singletrack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks.

    And Magill at 49 is a beast!

    ReplyDelete