Yesterday’s comments turned towards the possibility of doping and hence the need for drug testing in ultras, and as is typical – the comments are a couple of orders of magnitude better than anything posted here. My quick on this topic – I am in favor of drug testing in ultras, or any race for that matter, but realize that how practical that is (cost) needs to be weighed given the event. I certainly think any slighting of Mr. Hares performance at TNF50 because of his brother’s history is complete bullshit. I have not had to really think much about doping in the events that I run in or the level that I run at. I may be naive, but I have sort of felt that I have not had to worry about that.
Implicit references to central governor in this post on traditional VO2 tests.
Definitely enjoy Gordo’s posts.
Chrissie W is contemplating the bike LT100.
If I did not already live in one paradise, I’d want to live in this one.
Apparently, to run sub 2:20, Jogging is all you need. That and a big comedic wig.
Of course, I could just look to be an Ironman. But apparently that brings quite a bit of baggage.
GOALS 2011: I see a month in the spring or early summer where I wreck myself with vertical. My current thinking is that I look to get 20000 feet of vertical a week for a month. That ends up being about 3000 a day, which for many is not an issue – but it is definitely a shift up to my wheel house of training. Why do this? Sort of like a hell week, I want to put in the consistency of up and down to move the training along to help prepare for Pikes, and possibly Mount Washington. Easy runs, hard runs, repeats, etc. Simply put, this could be me doing my typical miles, but with this level of vertical in the mix. Challenges will be (outside of being able to physically manage it), the logistics of getting to places where I do that. It might mean a good amount of treadmill substitute work. We’ll see. I use the term “wreck” loosely … because the intent is to come out of that experience stronger, not injured or overcooked.
PM – windy. 4.5 miles into Louisville to drop off some paperwork. Easy but a good clip. Tempo’d back. Was going to tempo for three but saw that the fourth mile would be uphill so I extended it to include that. Nothin zippy, probably half marathon effort for those four. 11 miles total.
that guy with the wig is hilarious. Also pretty darn fast. Thanks for the link.
ReplyDeleteok, just watched the iron man video. That conversation has a disturbingly familiar ring.
ReplyDeleteWhenever you get a chance to provide some feedback on the new shoes, do share.
ReplyDeleteGZ, I'm enjoying reading as you work through goals and challenges for the coming year, especially since the subject is on my mind as well. Looking forward to hearing more as it continues to percolate.
ReplyDeleteJesse - go read the commentary the guy has with his wig. That makes it even better.
ReplyDeleteAnd substitute in your favorite marathon-ultra-trail event for IM and we are right in that video.
Shane - thanks. I will continue to pick at it. It is broad, because it considers racing goals, training goals, life goals, family goals ... its all in the sauce!
Matt - I have run in the Crosslites before and they are good. They seem to run a bit tight, narrow, but their outsole can't be beat in my opinion