Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday 042511

AM - easy jog, 3 miles.



I keep saying I might subscribe to Ultrarunner mag, or Running Times, or even buy this book - but then my cheap nature kicks in and I don't. Of course, I still drop 10 bucks for a four pack of Dogfish 90 periodically. WTF?

So with my HDD crashing, I have an IPOD that is totally out of synch with what is on the computer. Bunch of music on there that is not on the computer - so I am holding off on synching it.

PM - 10 easy miles while JZ practiced over at the MS. Jogged the dog some too.

5 comments:

  1. Did I read Canova correctly....they are never under 85%? There's a little four letter word that pops to mind when I hear that. Especially if doing any kind of volume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can keep getting my ultrarunning mags. Everything anyone needs to know, in terms of getting into ultras, is found on http://www.ultrunr.com/. don't need a book.

    Save your money for good beer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Derrick, I assume Canova means that his athletes already have such a massive aerobic base that he is referring to the final period of peaking where for several weeks they are never running below AeT (which I believe is what 85% would roughly equate to). AeT is usually a rough approximation for marathon pace, so all this means is that his athletes are way too strong to be doing LSD workouts. If one of his athletes can run at 160 HR for well over 2 hours, what purpose would it provide for them to go out and run at HR 140? I don't think Renato is a super-human mileage guy as much as he is workout specific...obviously to you and me the volume will be high, but not compared to a Tony Krupicka. All speculation on my part...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brett, Yeah even assuming the amount of base behind them, I still find it surprising that all running in the final phase is done at such a high quality. I just wouldn't think that there could be enough recovery between harder sessions at that pace. Interesting stuff though.

    GZ...agree with Footfeathers, put it into good beer. Maybe I'm just bitter though because a Canadian subscription to UltraRunning Mag is almost 2x as much as a US subscription. And our $ worth more now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if that sort of work falls into the arena of "this is what elites can do, so be careful (or don't) try it.

    Of course, Kenyans might struggle to keep up with elites like Brownie at PBR consumption at low HR.

    ReplyDelete