Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Various

The passing of Grete Waitz at 57 is simply sad. This woman won the NY marathon NINE times. 9! What a pioneer. She is one of those runners who has a larger than life burn etched in my mind - like Billy or Frank - simply because I saw or read of her accomplishments as a young runner.

Less seriously ... Justin apparently has an issue with 40+ year old men with bare hairy chests. I think this has less to do with how that actually looks and is really some pent up frustration over his head to head record against me in 2010.

I might start a FKT page on Walker given Lucho's recent effort but I need to do a bit of research on that first. That and Sanitas. Oh, new women's FKT for R2R2R.

The Foo Fighters album Wasting Light is simply excellent. I hear they recorded this in Grohl's garage. I will probably be picking up the Unita Cantina album from RCPM soon too.



BTMR reg starts May 2. Interesting - as prices seem to be up a bit (still an awesome price for this race) and there does not appear to be the middle of the night reg option.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, ditto on Waitz. She was a fixture at the London marathon as well as NYC. She and Ingrid Kristiansen dominated the women's race as I was growing up watching on TV and being inspired. Sad indeed. The Norweigians were the Kenyans of today in the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waitz was a class act and a dominate force back when I was road racing a lot in my twenties. I caught a glimpse of her once at full speed in the Orange Bowl 10K in Miami. I was heading out on one of the causeway bridges and she was already coming back, seemingly gliding effortlessly. I will choose to remember that image, the image of a champion - RIP Greta.

    ReplyDelete