Friday, October 14, 2011

Friday 101411

The more I think about it, the more I think the UROY thing is just plain silly.  We race from a start line to a finish line.  UROY is the opposite of that – it is a JUDGED contest.  I try not to get wrapped up in, but I sort of do.

Not sure about this – black IPA?  Hmmm.  Picked that one up from Eric.

Zero miles today.  Took the day off work to get a variety of errands done and assure I had everything set.  I definitely got the itch last night after work last night to get going with this. 

I AM BLOWN AWAY – I mean really just flat out wowed by the number of folks who have commented, wished me well, sent me a note on this event.  With each one I get a bit of the “holy crap – I better not screw this up” while at the same time realizing it is all folly anyway.

Pittbrownie wants me to set up a poll of over under on this event tomorrow.  I ain’t ready to jinx this event with that sort of thing, but I welcome predictions.  I still do owe the Garners (do they have a blog?!) a sixer, so I am behind on paying up – and thus I am not promising anything to the closest guesser at this point. 

Oh yeah, Pittbrownie wanted to know if I would still not consider myself an ultramarathoner if I complete this event.  Apparently, I am already a pretty seasoned one if you consider AJW’s definition.  I am not sure.  Let’s review Mr. K’s def …

Crap in the back of the car is ready.
IMG-20111014-00952

On ice.
IMG-20111014-00951

Tempted to crack that … but I figured I need to exercise a little delay gratification.

18 comments:

  1. Alright, you said predictions...
    I know you were tongue-in-cheek, but you said 15-30 hours. I'd worry a little bit if you went out too aggressively on the fast end, as that might be as fast as a 7:15-ish first half. Anyway, I like 8 hours as a good goal for the first half: could rock the 2nd with a really tight split.

    And that's as far as I get: picking a proper first half split, and trying not too slow down too much. But mostly, having fun. Go rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 21:59.

    But whatever you run, remember that at best it only equals a 23:43 at Leadville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20:43: You're capable of much faster, but the nutrition/hydration thing on-the-go is tricky if you've never really practiced. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black IPA can be really good, although there aren't many to be found. I may have had one at The Sun, and it was basically a porter with tons of hops. Hey, if a beer with spruce needles from Molas Pass can be good (Steamworks' Spruce Goose), I'll try anything.

    When you finish, you'd better get a medal the size of Flavor Flav's clock. Which will look super awesome around your neck at work. Go get 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the beer going to be a little carb loading every 7 miles? ;) Have a blast!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will mark me as totally slacking on reading your blog (or more diligent at doing my day job, or both), but I just got done mapping an out and back 24 miler from Teller farm around the Res. and back that I'm going to run in the AM and then read your blog. Looks like I'll be heading back from the res before your race starts though...bummer. I thought I would get some good spectating in at first. Anyway, good luck out there, I may bring the kids back out later to do some cheering if they're up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The weather isn't ideal so you will slow down a little...19:30 in the end. Sub-19 it the weather was better...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This course is pancake flat and practically at sea level....

    12:55

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too flat...too fast??
    Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My prediction - you'll have fun and learn a lot no matter what happens. Fewer bathroom stops in the woods than Brandon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing race GZ! That is freaking awesome, I am literally in awe.

    /drools on keyboard

    Recover well and I hope things are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw that you got it done...congrats! Look forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice job grinding it out. Told you it's not that hard. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tommyknocker in Idaho Springs has a swell black IPA. Might be a good post-race beer after your next 100.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jim P - next? Ack.
    Mike H - thanks. Geez - these hurt!
    Footfeathers - you lied.
    Mtnrunner - thanks for being out there man! (and the sweet IPAs - we got to share those!)
    NMP - great seeing you last night! Thanks!
    Dave - I am drooling on my keyboard too ... as part of my recovery.
    Brett - learned a ton. Thanks
    Anonymous - probably started too fast but that is a different post for a different time.
    Jeff - I don't think I could even do that on a bike today.
    NMP, Pete - sorry to disappoint! i was woefully underprepared and because of that had an epic meltdown in the second half (the second 50 took me 13 plus hours!)
    Aaron - great seeing you out there! THanks for sharing some strides.
    Jill - I did sip on one beer after loop 7 ... bud light.
    Kieran - I am probably capable of more - but yup, was not practiced.
    Brownie - you are the winner, as you were closest (by 3 minutes). You winner a growler of IPA. = PAID.

    ReplyDelete