Justin has another good recap of the weekend events. Guessing with a DNF by Jornet, his chance at a coup for UROY is done.
More seriously, I’d love to go do the Nipmuck Trail Marathon sometime (referenced in Justin’s article). I use to hit the Nipmuck all the time when I was back in CT. Its trail wound close to the university campus, and also not too far from where I lived while out that way. Lots of great times on that trail. The finisher’s medals look pretty cool (tree with a trail blaze on it). I am sure the race would nearly kill me, as that trail is way more technical than Barr with its roots, rocks, slippery leaves …
Apparently I am not the only guy who falls over.
Mid day – 10 miles, fairly easy but occasionally steady. Played around in the open space that is just north of my office, south of the Rock Creek area. I really need to get in there a lot more because there is some nice single track, some good climbs. Goofing off over there I got in more than a 1000 of vert without thinking about it. And now, there appears to be the best pull up bar in the world over there.
Good recap on the CU Shootout.
In sitting around at soccer matches this weekend, I got to talk to some kids from Broomfield HS – on a variety of topics (some a bit more hair raising than others). In any case, one of the kids is a runner on the XC team. Looks like BHS has a fair chance at making a run for the 4A state title. Long season for them to consider though (from Liberty Bell to NXN). Fun to chat with this kid, and get a bit of that flavor from days gone by …
Nipmuck was my first ever trail race - way back when. Really fun event. Fast first half and then some good rocks and roots through the last 10 miles or so. Not a whole lot of climbing as I remember - but it was a long time ago. Dunham's course record is super stout. Still got the tree stump finisher award somewhere in the recesses of my garage.
ReplyDeleteSounds like Jornet needs a break.
Nick - jealous that you have that race under your belt and I don't. I recall seeing it occurring back there way back when, but it was in my mind at that time a fringe event ... marathon and trail. Not for me. I did a road marathon or two and it left me nearly destroyed so it was beyond my comprehension to even consider Nipmuck.
ReplyDeleteNice Nipmuck race write up over here: http://scottlivingston.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/2011-nipmuck-trail-marathon/
ReplyDeleteI'm certain that race would kill me, but I'm dumb enough to try it :). And a race without a fall....what's that?
ReplyDeleteHow about we trade races. I'll run a cool CO trail race above 10,000 feet next year and you guys can run any over rocks and roots at any New England trail race you want.
ReplyDeleteAh, Kevin - I love those reports and vids from you and JJ. No different there than here in the spirit man. Anytime you or JJ, DD or MQ are out here, you have a base camp at HangNine casa.
ReplyDeleteYeah, growing up in CT, I feel like Nipmuck is a must do. Apparently the newbies all wear something signifying their virginal status. Sounds like a fun time.
ReplyDeleteSweet idea. I think I'd have to go running shoes with handles on the back of them.
ReplyDeleteHow awesome is that pull up bar! Noticed it up there a month or so ago and had to knock out a few pull ups in the middle of my run. Great view!
ReplyDelete