AM – When I woke this AM, I had hoped to find the legs feeling similar to what they felt last week: a bit tired from the Friday workout, but ready to roll a bit. That did not seem to be the case as they felt a bit stiff, and I could feel the additional strain in the hamstrings from the weighted squats I piled on after the quarters.
In any case, feeling a bit blah in the AM, I decided not to try to force a longer steady run. When I feel blah like that I find that (more times than not), I can fake it for about 2/3rds of the run but then I fall apart. I decided to try to break this into two runs today – so that both were honest. Given that KZ had more soccer this AM, and I slept in a bit – well, that helped structure the decision. I got out and about a mile from the house I ran into a fellow local, Gavin – a guy I have not yapped with in years (since I was a regular at the BRR). He was on a 2 hour plus run in prep for a December marathon. I hung with him for a bit, enjoying the catch up before heading home. 7 plus miles.
PM – headed out for four miles. About half way, it started raining at a good clip. I completely did not expect this, as when I walked out the door and looked up, I could see stars in the skies. It was nice.
I am still trying to find a good cadence of workout in a week with this current program. I realize it might not fit seven days. I guess it might be what it is from day to day to day. But I am slightly interested in finding that cadence where I know I can do something like a strength workout on Tuesday, come back with two easy runs on Wednesday, blah blah blah.
I’d love to be getting in two workouts a week focused on the shorter stuff, but also a mountain run, a longer steady run and regular gym work in, but I have yet to put weeks together that get all that done regularly. It seems (over the last five weeks), I can get the speed in (as that is the priority), but two of the other things fall off.
I don’t think I manage the other parts of my life with a degree of consistency that support that sort of consistency in how I feel and hence how I can approach running. So I have to take it a bit day by day. Not a big deal, but not ideal.
Overall a slight bump in the mileage this week compared to the recent weeks in the month of September (obviously another factor in the above). I hit 50s and 60s, with a high of 66 through September – which after a complete week off post Pikes. Certainly not appropriate training for some stuff, but I think a bit more focused than what I have done in past falls. Bob asked me if I was really going to do that big run in a few weeks. I responded that it would be appropriate: in past falls I have said I am going to focus on speed and do 5ks, and I race as such but I don’t do the training to support that. What better to do the training to support it but not do a 5k race?
Weight is up a bit. I was around 142 for Pikes, which was about 3-5 pounds heavier than past years. I am about 147 now. Probably a combination of enjoying brew a bit, lesser miles, little bit of the weight work, and the joy of middle age.
Last night, KZ, a friend of her’s and I went to a musical play called “Quilters” at the local Broomfield auditorium. I will admit, I was up for the gig because KZ was excited about it. I fully expected to be a bit bored, as typically this sort of stuff is not my thing. I found it, however, very enjoyable: a strong story of pioneering life – which is often not very pretty, and some incredible voices. Good stuff.
Chrissie W is fairly banged up going into Kona. But she is no less focused.
Nick P pointed me to this interesting article on a biker and his use of PEDs.
Good job on the miles!
ReplyDeleteI love running in the rain (but probably because it rains so rarely where I live.)