Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thursday 102711

AM – got out with Ken and Darren this AM in Reno.  I had never met these guys but that is the blogosphere.  I mentioned the other day I was heading here and they got in touch with me, shifted their schedules to jog with me – and did it on a silly loop around a lake (1 mile) near my hotel.  Thanks for hosting guys!

The runners I meet – awesome people.  I know that comes across as a bit “hooray for runners” but it is true.  Seriously – I know it would freak some folks out to say they were going to meet two folks they have never met in person but had exchanged two emails with -- in the dark by a lake in Reno.  Not a problem with endurance runners.

Good guys, out there enjoying the outdoors, trying to improve, be good friends, dads and husbands, and have a good time.  It really does not vary a whole heck of a lot from the elite dudes to the folks just starting the sport.  I love it.  Was very stoked and rejuvenated in my heart this morning to share a few strides with these guys.

Poorly taken self portrait with these guys.  I look like I might still be running from that stunt I did a few weeks ago.

 IMG-20111027-00963

It was a little chilly but I ought to not gripe about that since it was about twice as many degrees here as it was in Broomstock this AM.  8 miles.

I feel generally recovered by my psoas on the right side is a bit sore.  At least I think it is my psoas based on the in depth 3 minute google godess prayer I did this AM.  I am not sure what I am going to do about that yet – for the short term.  I do know longer term this is a big imbalance I have and something I most definitely need to correct.  I might just need to be lazy for a while but I’d rather not.

Got this from Footfeathers – worth sharing (related to my possible Ignite session)

I am not voting in the Boulder elections because I don’t live there.   But for those of you who do, please consider voting and consider this (plucked from the Boulder Trail Runner list serve):   Lisa Morzel (who is running for re-election) said at a March City Council meeting:
“I would go for yellow tags for bike users, maybe even blue tags for runners, pink tags for walkers... I don’t think dog users should be the only ones that are paying into the system.”
  Do you want to be required to wear a "blue tag"??  This is for real - this really happens behind-the-scenes - we need to vote; electing City Council is the only thing that works.  At the Tuesday Meeting when Council rejected mountain bike access to Anemone Hill, the Daily Camera reported, "Councilman Matt Appelbaum went a step further and said he doesn't want any human access to the property."  "Any human access" to public land???  He used to be our Mayor. You really need to vote.

Sheesh.

Expect to read into this one a bit more tonight.

Evening: trashed the upper body in the gym, again fairly quickly (it does not take much).  Worked on the pigeon pose as recommended in today’s comments.  I might be old and gray enough now that I can go try this yoga thing.

4 comments:

  1. What is a "dog user"? Sounds like she is sexually abusing a dog, which is a crime I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The psoas is the root of all evil. Anecdotal evidence is what it is, but here's what's worked remarkably well for me: the pigeon stretch. Was clued into it a year or so by a running friend who does quite a bit of yoga and am now running freer and easier than I had in years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick - funny. I would not be surprised if mountain park usage to non county residents became further billed. :(

    Stacy - thanks for the tip. I will check out the pigeon stretch. It is a yoga pose from what I gather ... I checked out this video and apparently I have "anger in my hips." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2FUaAGtzeQ

    I also saw this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQMsyrLowFw&feature=related and this stuff looks hard as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had fun on the run this morning George! Hope there's not to much snow when you get back to CO.

    The pigeon pose just hurts when I do it!

    Patrick - your vision of a "dog user" has me wondering what the heck the bike "user" is doing!

    ReplyDelete