Sunday, January 11, 2009

011109 Sunday - Romp in the snow

Kids were off skiing for the day so I ran up high in Fairplay.  These runs are slllllooow.   I realize that some of this is due to altitude, some because of the hills, some because of the weather, some because I am going a bit longer (from a time perspective ... for me) ... it bugs me a bit but I will not worry about it now.   July, that is a different story.

Today I took the canal (the old Snowstorm dredge) route to the FS.  This meant I was off the road - which was good for the dogs but it slowed me down quite a bit.  The snow was non existent in spots, and then knee deep in others.  By the end of the run, my legs were tired from thrashing in this, and then slipping off to the sides, etc.

I debate the usefulness of these "snow romps."  There is certainly some benefit to them, but I wonder on occasion if it is the best training dollar spent for 2 hours at this point.  My head loves it of course ... and so do the dogs:  they get all jacked up for these long sessions in the NF.

I took a couple of "mountain berry" Cliff shot blocks on the run today.  I have never tried these and I picked them up from irunfar.com.  They seem pretty okay and did not jack up my stomach so they are game for further experimentation.  Weird how they can sit in your mouth like a cud though.

2:05, 11 miles, 11 feet of climbing - all above 10k feet.

Week in review:
M - 10 miles, treadmill, with 20 x 1 min on off (64 minutes)
T - 10 miles, treadmill (67 minutes)
W - 10 miles, treadmill, with 4 x 3 minutes at 5K pace and then tempo out for 9 min, (64 min)
Th - 11 miles, trails, good roll, 81 minutes
F- 10 miles, treadmill, with strides (hills) (78 minutes)
Sa - 10 miles, 4 miles tempo (68 minutes)
Su - 11 miles, altitude (125 minutes)

547 minutes, 72 miles on week.  124 miles on month, 1027 minutes on month.

Not a bad week.  It was a bit tough for me to transition my head back into work, and the weather was rough - but these runs came pretty easy.  I feel like I am floating through these 70 mile weeks pretty easily.  I could add more miles but the schedule has not called for it (and life has tampered it a bit - and that is okay).

Oh yeah ... some one is 11 days into 100 times up Bear in 100 days.  AWESOME.

6 comments:

  1. good to see you on sat night(even though you bailed early...) make sure that you take the clif blocks with lots of water, as intended, or they will sit in your mouth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW - the dino-dragon towel on Lucy was freakin' awesome. Along with the "anatomy" shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the margarite flavored clif bloks... go figure..

    I like the new layout and am very jealous of all your running, even if you spent more time on the treadmill last week than I have in the last 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea dig the new blog design...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somewhere in the header photo I see a metaphor for being the tree and bending in the WIND!! I heading out of work right now to run in the powder! (but no wind!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I changed that picture like 5 minutes ago. It is a picture of a bristlecone pine ... very old tree. Very much alive in spite of the wind always blowing on it.

    ReplyDelete