Friday, January 16, 2009

Friday 011609 Bear

I bit at a feed from JV to join him and Scott for Bear. 

Scott is "getting back on the horse," so to speak.  I confess, I want to see him get on that horse the way he was.I am not sure he can but if he does, it would be amazing.  It would be unbelievable, but amazing.  It would be a real life movie.  Really.  I am sure given he has won 8 PPA's (ask yourself - how many of you can say you won 8 of anything?), he has forgotten more on hill climbing training than I have learned in the last three years.

JV and I ran easy, starting with Scott and then slowly breaking away ... - bs'ing on Pikes (again, sorry), vertical gains, training, and (mostly) the mental frame of mind of the elite (this could be its own post) (particularly one ... I was probably overspoken).

We started with a bit more the the trad  Bear route.  8 miles.  1:50 RT.  All easy.  The climb was SUPER easy (a lot of hiking on my part) but I was slipping through the upper stretches of snow (even with studs).  We opened it up a bit on the down and hit a few stretches at sub 4:35 pace which felt FUN! 

I jacked up some of the settings for this run on the Garmin.  I had auto pause on which was a bit of a factor on the ascent - as we often slowed to less than 30 min/mile pace.

It was great to yap with Jeff but I probably bent his ear with my nuttiness today.

JV and I both wondered on the value of Fern in training (given it is so stupid steep) but agreed it makes for a nice "different" workout, climb ... particular this time of the year.  In the summer ... I am more likely to do Green, or maybe Flagstaff road and then up Green to Long Canyon. 

 

 

Unrelated thought of the day:  FACEBOOK ... lots of what I thought were closed chapters being "reopened" with Facebook ... in some case, it brings back fond memories.  In other cases ... it brings back other ones.  I guess, like was said once ... We have two lives... the life we learn with and the life we live after that (from the Natural).  I look at a lot of my prior chapters and hope I learned from them ... I am in some cases proud of these old chapters, but I tend to dismiss those or forget those quickly ... those are how we are supposed to be as good people ... there seem to be more chapters I focus  where I am ashamed that I hurt folks with my careless thoughts and acts.  I hope I can live a life now that "after that" and .one that is .. more noble.

No comments:

Post a Comment