Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thursday 111509 10 miles

I haven't a clue as to what the heck that run was but it was a mess.  Well, I know what happened actually, it is that I just did not react to what it became in an appropriate fashion.  I started with notion that I'd do 5 x 4 minutes at 0.5% grade on the treadmill at 5k pace, with two minutes rest.  After a 2 mile warm up, I jumped into the first and rolled with.  It did not feel great, but I figured that was part of breaking into the workout.  But when I started the second, I knew it was just going to be a mess.  So I backed off.  "Okay, let's make this a progression run."  But then that wasn't working out.  So it became a sort of fartlek run I guess.  Fartlek is a word for I don't really know what the hell I am going to do (okay, it is supposedly Sweedish for "speed play" but my translation sounds cooler)  So it was fast and slow and all over the place.  I kept screwing around with the mill speeds.  Then of course it kept trying to slow down after an hour (the last three minutes) and I kept trying speed it up. 

 

Frankly, my head was a mess today and not ready to focus on a workout and it showed.  What I should have done was just let it go and run easy but instead I ran "in the middle."  A bit up, a bit down.  At this point in all of it, not a biggie ... but not a good habit to get into.  10 miles.  63 minutes.  In some regards, it is kind of nice that I can have a run like this that is a good effort, but not too taxing ... but I want to be careful not to run in this "not too hard, not too easy" zone too much.

4 comments:

  1. It's another 10 miles. Like that olympian Dobson advised (I mentioned it earlier), vary ALL your runs. Exposes more muscles yada yada. You nailed it. Great run.

    I'm living vicariously right now. At least when you're injured you can still drink beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 homebrews deep tonight. It is nearly the last of the PPM ale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 miles in 63 is "not easy, not hard.?" Yikes! I need to step it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 63 on a treadmill (or 6:18 average pace) at 0.5% is probably equivalent to 6:45 to 6:50 pace outdoors (for me). So, equivalent to 67-68 minutes.

    I have thought about upping the incline to make it a bit more "actual" (like 1.5%) but ... I kinda of like the turnover element and I have been running at this level for some time and so it is a "habit."

    ReplyDelete