Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday 010409 17 miles and more altitude conversation

Didn't feel real hot - my stomach has been fighting some sort of something.  Decided to go long and real slow, real easy.   17 miles, looping up into Lafayette, Louisville, keep the HR in the low 150s.

Matt asked: "After reading the altitude post, I'm a little puzzled.  The point of training at altitude is to increase O2 carrying capacity and perhaps condition oneself if he is going to race at a similar alt?
And how high does one have to go to get the O2 benefits?

My nickel on this ... sleeping at altitude helps you increase O2 carrying capacity because your RBC count will increase.  But even with this increase RBC count, it does not offset the lack of the ability to get 02 to the muscle cells.  For an extreme example, even if you acclimate at 20000 feet for climbing Everest - you don't suddenly reach your sea level potential.  

Hence, the old adage, live high and train low.  I do think an exception to this is if you are racing high.  There the law of specificity over rules - train your system (body) unto which you will race. 

But even there, I think there is an exception.  If you train exclusively at altitude, you will lose speed that you train (better) at lower altitudes that you can use to your benefit in a race at higher altitudes.  In other words, if you want to run fast, you need to run fast.  Since you are limited in being able to do that by training at altitude, you set a governor of sorts if you always train at altitude.  This can be overcome (running downhill for example, at faster paces) with training lower as a key option.

Exactly where (elevations) this all takes place is probably a matter of some debate / scientific analysis.

Lucho - you got a take on this?

Week in review

M - 4 miles (37 min)
T - 0 miles
W - 13 miles (92 min)
Th - 7 miles (So Bo, Bear, 120 minutes), 5 miles (40 min)
Fr - 13 miles treadmill (87 min) with 6 x 3 minutes
Sa-  7 miles (54 min), 3 miles (10-15% grade - treadmill, 39 minutes)
Su - 17 miles (140 minutes)

Week - 70 miles, 609 minutes
January - 52 miles, 480 minutes

Decent week.  It began to come unraveled from a training perspective with the skiing on the front end, and then towards the end with the pups being born and my stomach aching ...  I got in a good run on Wed, good climbing on Th (but slow), some repeats on Friday ... and a good slow long run on Sunday.   I'd love it all to be faster - but who wouldn't?!  I definitely want to start getting more of a decent long run in more often  ... I tend to eschew that too much.  I am considering having one or two of days in my training that are REALLY light (not goose eggs but like 4-6 miles) so I can really tag it the next day.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks and I see you note the uncertainty of the altitude when this magic comes into play. If I can sleep at 5500, is that something?

    Maybe I'll ask AC. Did you read his offseason post? You should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely.

    I read that post. AND the one about intervals as base. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that each person has a unique genetic "ceiling" as to what altitude affects them. The Everest Sherpas have a high ceiling. I think you are correct in that spending too much time at altitude can affect your speed. But I don't think it's cut and dry. Remember that Geb lives and trains at 7000+ elevation, so do most of the Africans. They were born there though. I think Alan C. is the best guy for answering this question...
    I think my hematocrit is genetically high (48) so I'm wondering if altitude will have as severe an impact on me as it would on an average guy.. I also wonder if my living at 8200ft will make Boulder feel like sea level? George... do you like gladiators?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim

    I think that your point on everyone's personal ceiling is correct. I don't see myself as stellar at altitude but I have out performed guys that would OWN me at lower elevations. Simply put, I think they have a lower ceiling. Some of that is probably enhanced / limited by how much one trains at higher elevations.

    Being born at elevation however I think (although probably not proven) is a key element as you point out to success at elevation (or lower altitudes) - but is not critical. Carpenter is from Mississippi I think.

    I feel like I am missing something on the gladiator piece but I am - as you know - slow on the uptake.

    Boulder will feel like sea level. Until you go to sea level.

    ReplyDelete