Sunday, January 11, 2009

Saturday 011009 10 miles

AM run.  2 miles warm up (7:47, 7:20), 4 miles tempo (6:06, 6:06, 6:02, 5:52), 4 miles cool down (7:26, 7;19, 7:18, 7:18).  It was cool enough that I had chunks of ice in my beard and on my glasses at the finish. 10.25 miles, 70:30.  Good solid tempo - not overreaching or "racing it" but starting relaxed and building.  Will build on this over the spring.

I am thinking I might need to replace the Garmin's HR monitor battery.  It seems to think I get HRs of 220+ during tempo runs.

image

Various ...

  • Has anyone ever used the juice known as Monavie?  Or any juice of the acai berry?  Asking as an old friend of mine is recommending it.
  • Playing with the look of the blog some and ... it is going to take some work.  I thought I'd want something that had more columns, and a wider footprint on the page.  Now I am seeing that, I am thinking I might just want posts up top and all the other crud down low ... but I am going to live with this for a bit.  I also thought I'd like the bigger pic up top but now that I am seeing it, I am not sure.
  • Lafayette Oatmeal 5K results are up
  • In college, I played a lot of ultimate.  Seems like a group of the old UCONN alum are trying to get together for Fools Fest in DC in April.  Not sure if it will fit in.  Particularly since it is probably more deadly than running across the Grand Canyon (pony tail or not).
  • In the evening I headed up with the kids to Fairplay - they have "Bombers" (ski lessons) over at Breck tomorrow.  En route, we stopped at Tim's house warming.  We had to bail early - as we still had a two hour ride into Park County and the kids had to get up early, but I got to meet RunColo, see KW, JK1 and 2, and various other locals - along with their families (note - in all cases, our children are way cuter than us).  It was great to see everyone and I felt pretty honored to be invited. 

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I think you look older in the UCONN photo than you do now. It's either the glasses or the weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Monavie is, I think, a little gimicky. My in-laws are into and sent us a bunch. I did some research and sure people like it, but for some reason the co. won't publish the % of acai in the juice, nor disclose the source of the magic berry; a little criticism. On the other hand, it's probably not bad for you.

    $30+ a bottle, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it might be the hair too. FWIW - I was maybe ten pounds heavier, but zippier. I did not have a gut - that is for sure. I certainly could bench more. Not sure that means much.

    34 bucks a bottle for the Monavie. Seems like a decent drink, not bad for you ... but I don't like how it is shrouded in mystery AND how I have to buy it through what appears the a pyramid scheme. Why can't I just get it at stores?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yeah, the pyramid scheme. You nailed it: good stuff but a little too much ??????.

    you can probably buy frozen acai at a store (we have a little chain of farmers market-type stores called Henry's that sells it) which is pretty much the form juicer bars use. IOW, if acai is your goal, there's cheaper/better ways to acquire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. Thanks for the tip. I had not even heard of the acai berry until this person suggested it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, an old friend of mine contacted me a couple years ago telling me I needed to start selling Monavie. Knowing him, it's kind of a scam (unless you're at the peak of the pyramid, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could bench more -

    Yeah, one of my favorite t-shirts reads "Bod Squad" and is from HS. We had a weightlifting class and for guys who could bench 40 over their weight, you got in the bod squad. I was 130 and benched 170. Pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete