Raising conscientious children is definitely not the most fun part of parenting.
The more I think about it, the more I am a bit less than pleased with yesterday’s run. I need to move on of course, but it really should not have been as difficult as it was. It is simple math: on Saturday I did 13 miles with 3200 feet of climbing. On Sunday doing another 1600 feet of climbing should have been no big deal. A net sum of 4800 feet of climbing doesn’t even get me to the A-frame. While it graws at me, I also need to realize that day is done and passed. In past years, even ones with some modicum of success, I have not done back to back days where I went two and half hours plus at altitude. Rather than looking at yesterday as a setback, I see it as another stepping stone up to better performance at Pikes.
It is a balance of arrogance and humility.
Barr Trail Mountain Race on Sunday. This race was cancelled last year because of the fires down there. In 2011, I ran 1:58, but in prior years consistently ran 1:47-8ish a near handful of times. I am not sure what sort of shape I am in for Barr, but I’d like to think I am somewhere between that 2010 and 2011 spread. The start list is posted.
Of course, in doing BTMR, it pretty much rules out hanging out at the track meet down in the San Juans. Without a doubt, pacing that last year is among my finest running memories.
Video from the Mt Marathon race.
Mid day … some heat …yeah, buddy. Recovery running.
AHR 142, MHR 151.
Later afternoon – did not pay attention to HR so it was all over (in retrospect). 6.7 miles easy (a bit longer than I wanted but I took a wrong turn).
TZ got her first 14er today (Quandary) with her college pal Ricia. She has often had issues with the higher elevations but had a few days to acclimate in Fairplay.
What do you think of Mt. Marathon? Got to be one of the coolest races in the country.
ReplyDeleteThinking of Gates as an uphill runner (almost only?), I was very impressed with his finish.
Yeah, it definitely jumps out at me as one I'd like to put on the bucket list. Not sure that I'd ever make a trip up to Seward on the 4th though. Love the simplicity of it.
DeletePopping your shoulder back in during a race has to be one of the toughest things I have ever heard.
That race has JV's name all over it.
DeleteInteresting to see the varying "hands on knees" technique. Ricky Nails it, of course.
Yeah Tim - good point. I was absolutely noting the form differences (and I am sure that is equally as important on the down) - and hence the efficiency of energy used (transferring energy into up and forward motion versus laterally). I also found it interesting that the winner was of a larger build than a lot of the competitors around him.
DeleteOh yeah and talked to JV about it. Apparently it is harder to get into than HR.
DeleteBiggest mistake I see with the hands on knees approach is that it ends up being hands on thighs. So, the transfer of weight and energy is still absorbed by the working muscles instead of supported by the bone structure/ground.
DeleteAnother good point. I think that is because getting to the knees often requires a bit more bending over - and hence a bit more focus / strain on the back. So people don't get there as easily.
Delete