Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tuesday 070913

HR preview.  Anything can happen but I would give the nod to Grant given his record and course familiarity. 

Good read on cramping.

Long but interesting read on the body craze.

The BRR track meets get some press.

Another brewery coming to Broomstock.
=====
I was recently listening to IMTalk, a podcast that is about all things Ironman.  I have no desire to do an IM, but I am a bit of an arm chair fan of the sport and listening to this podcast is always a bit educational to me. 

In a recent episode, the two hosts were discussing last year’s Kona and briefly struggled to recall who took second in that race.  They knew that Pete Jacobs, won the race but had to stop to think who was second through fourth.  And these guys know the sport.

This got me thinking …most folks don’t remember most second places, or are at least challenged to do so.  I’d propose that some times we are even more likely to remember who took a lower place than 2nd.  Most track aficionados know Rudisha won the Olympic 800 in a world record time, but then beyond that … well, most would be more likely to recall that Osagie from GB took LAST (in a blazing 1:43.77)  I know there is an argument here about him being a Brit (and the Olympics were in London) and it is who you know and who you follow (we all k now Pre took fourth in Munich in 72).  There are of course exceptions, particularly when it is a battle between 1 and 2 (think Allen and Scott or training buds like Farrah and Rupp).

But at least as equally as often, second place is forgotten, lost in shadow of the champ.

On this front, with Rudisha injured, and maybe not even competing at Moscow, Ethopia’s Mohammed Aman is cleaning up in the Diamond League’s 800 circuit.  Aman is the only guy to have beaten Rudisha in the last few years.  But as most times he is second, he is often forgotten.  Had there been no Rudisha, we might be praising the half mile accomplishments of Mohammed.   Instead, he stays in the shadow of David R.


Okay – so a random set of thoughts there on second place … but it comes back to Pikes for me of course.   In the last few years that Carpenter won Pikes, who was often the runner up?  Do we remember? 

That title often went to Daryn Parker (second 2009, 10, and 11).  Daryn seemed to disappear quietly from the scene after 2011 race.  I think he and his wife were expecting a child that fall. 

In looking at the entry list for Pikes this year, last year’s runner up Nichols appears to be the cream of the crop right now.   But I think if Parker were there and on his game he’d be in it.  Or maybe he’d be looking at another second place.  But he probably is not even thinking about it.  

It looks like a 3:45 to 3:50 to win it from what I am seeing right now.   There is no Kilian or 3:30 something contender showing up.  There are no Carpenter’s this year to create big shadows right now.  Arguably, if Mackey returns to his 2007-8 form he could be in the hunt, but that is long time ago and the guy is an old man now.  It is also worth noting the competitive entry slots have not been published yet, so that could change. 

Oh yeah … second place at Kona last year was Andreas Raelert.

====
Mid day 5.2 miles easy.

Evening – 4.4 miles

8 comments:

  1. Second place is the first loser!

    You down for some ping pong at that new brewery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In. Assuming it is a recovery day. I can't do it on days of key workouts.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I got third in a race once and this kid afterwards said to me, "I hate third. First and second are my favorite."

      Delete
  3. Do you remember where you were watching Kona last year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a Sierra Nevada in the parking lot of the Boulder Rez if memory serves correct.

      Delete
  4. I usually don't even remember 1st place; I remember those around me in the back, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting point Jill. For most of the major cities marathons, I bet 99 percent of the participants could not name anyone finishing in the top ten. Unless they knew that person.

      Delete