Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tuesday 073013

Some Pikes picks as we are now within 3 weeks. 

Men’s marathon  …

1.  Delaney
2.  Nichols
3.  Marshall
4.  Burrell

Delaney makes things interesting by showing up now on the men’s list.  His best Ascent is some six minutes faster than Nichols (which interestingly, Nichol second best climb was last year in the marathon).  Not saying Jason is going to crush a 2:13 on the up but that is a lot of spare room to work with.  I am clearly leaning towards experience here over new talent – although you could argue that Delaney does not have down experience in this race.  I’d say the top four break 4 hours.  Anton is doing UTMB so I am assuming he is a no go here.  I reserve the right to change my mind.  I am really not sure about Mackey – as he is listed as a Doubler, so he could be pretty tanked after day 1.  It gets sticky after that with guys like Malmberg, Dobson, Maksimow, Folts, Mir, Tilton and probably some newcomer fighting it out the top 10.  If a guy like Dickey can break 4:30, he might break into the top 10 as well (rather than win the masters). 

On the women’s side, I will scratch it like this …

1. Enman
2.  Kimmel
3.  Yates

I don’t know how to mix it beyond that.  I know Lewis is on the start list but she is coming off a long injury layoff.  Ortiz is always solid of course.  Shay – newcomer and hard to not pick a 10k champ, but this is a different track race.  Walter is a local and so should get some home field advantage, but she also appears to be a doubler.  Fulton has some strong credentials as well.

Men’s Ascent …

1. Randall
2.  Gutierrez
3.  Siemers

Blake is no new comer, as he was here in 2010, had a less than par day (for him) at 2:34.  I imagine with he is capable of a lot more than that given he has broken an hour at MW.  Justin thinks Cody Moat is a guy to watch. 

Women’s ascent

1.  Dobson.

If there is one race that has ridiculously horrible odds, it is the women’s Ascent.  Unless Dobson falls into a hole, she is the class of the field.  Arguably, she could make the top ten of the Ascent OVERALL again.    Beyond Kim, the rest of the women are fighting to break 3 hours.   It is no slight against the rest of the field, it is just a statement that Kim is that good.

Of course, a handful of those folks above won’t make it to the line for some reason or another.  So everything can change.  That’s why the race is run. 

On a more personal note, now that I have predicted how various folks will perform, I will look to put myself under the microscope.  I started playing with Matt C’s pace calculator last night.  I started thinking about how well I stayed to the calculator, knowing that I have never negative split the race (running from the camp up to the summit faster than from the start to the camp).  I was also wondering how well my BTMR time to the camp predicted how fast I would run that section in the race.  Here’s the data (and some probably error filled math).

Year Start to BC Summit BC to Summit Diff BTMR trip
7 78.3 2:51:58 84.28 5.98 68.56
8 89.37 3:07:48 98.11 8.74
9 81.47 2:57:41 96.14 14.67 69.26
10 79.47 2:46:43 86.56 7.09 69
11 87.35 3:06:41 99.06 11.71 74.3
12 87.25 3:01:08 93.43 6.18

Some conclusions …

1.)  When the race is going well for me, I will split around 6 minutes slower from Camp to the top.  When it is going poorly, I will split in excess of 10 minutes.  (note, 08 is a Double year, and it looks like I played it pretty smart to the Camp that year).
2.)  generally speaking I run the Cog to Barr Camp section about equal to 3 minutes slower (with about 10 minutes from the Start to Ruxton) than I do at BTMR. 

So, if I play with Matt’s calculator and go off what I did at BTMR, and add 2 and half minutes, I get about an 87 minute climb to BC.

image

Assuming a good day, if I add 7 minutes to that, I finish the rest in 94 minutes.  Or summit up in 3:01.  I’d love to think I am fitter than that.  I am just going off my historical numbers and what I did at Barr to play a bit though. 

If I come down like I typically have (1:41-:1:42), I finish in 4:42-3.  Not bad, but certainly not a PR and only about what I did last year.  But again, that is why they run the race. 

Recovery day.  5.2 miles in the afternoon.  90 degrees maybe? 

image

MHR 150, AHR 146, 7:47 ave pace (7:34, 7:35, 7:45, 7:49, 7:54).  Curious as to how that would play out in the cool.

20 comments:

  1. PPM women - Too high on Enman. She had a baby in June and was only 15th at Cranmore. Yates was only 11th there though, coming back from injury herself. Shay took a DNF at Speedgoat. Kimmel for the win then.

    PPA women - Maybe Corey will comment, but Kim is also coming back from an injury, since GoPro Vail Pass half. Skipped Mt. Evans. Current status unclear.

    Do you feel like the USATF bearing is having any impact on the PPM competition? More competitive than usual or no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you'd set me straight.

      I did not know about Enman. I agree with Kimmel based on what you have here.

      Even if Dobson is 20 minutes slower than last year, she contends for the win.

      USATF is bringing a little bit in but not really much to toot about. I can't say that any of the front end divisions look any more competitive or even much faster.

      Delete
  2. PPA men - Siemers raced that 4m XC in Boulder last weekend, looks like he may be a go for PPA then.

    Blake - He was part of the group that took a wild wrong turn in 2010 (Delaney too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, I was wondering that about Blake while I was writing it and forgot to go look that up. Yeah, him and oddly enough Tommy M at the Bottomless Pit is what I recall.

      Delete
  3. In addition to scary rocks jumping in my path and tripping me on that dangnabit trail, I also have to worry about holes to fall into? Gawwwwd.

    I think you're better fit than last year, definitely in the mindset, and that's a huge factor. You're going to have a great race - keep visualizing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well no real holes. There is the Bottomless Pit and the Cirque though ...

      Delete
  4. Other than Kim in the Ascent, look for local Ashley Nelson to be top 3. She won Vail Hill Climb and came back the next day to win The STRU. That was after 2 weeks at low altitude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dark horse for PPM top 10 - local w/ a ton of experience - Dan Vega

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mentioned Vega in another post but I generally agree. Not sure I'd call him a dark horse really given he was an All American in 93 (but that might be a stretch on my part).

      Delete
  6. I want to know when Mock is gonna come back and race it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mock is waiting to turn 40 to make a Morton like comeback.

      Delete
    2. No plans for PPM, but still in reasonable enough shape.

      Delete
  7. Felt obliged to make a burro joke...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ned. It was back and forth like that all the way down from Mosquito Pass. Except without the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I thought I could get some time with a burro, I would love to run that race. You make it look easy, but if for nothing else than to say I ran a burro race...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is not the hardest thing I have ever done, but it is not easy. Most definitely not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. No, just solid training mileage instead of "racing too much" (his words) and speedy on the track. Plus a haircut.

      Delete
    2. Haircut? Recent research shows that the beards are better at altitude ...

      Delete