Warmed up three miles and I knew I wasn’t feeling great. 20 plus years and you can pretty much tell 99 percent of the time. While I can feel this pretty early, the data also shows it. When I am feeling pretty good a warm up will roll up to 7:30 pace. Today was 8. No biggie, but it is a bit of an indicator, omen to me.
There are some days where I decide to bag workouts when things start this way. But today, I decided to press on anyway. I did not feel great but I did not feel horrible. Warmed up (3 miles) and then did a few 200m strides to dial in the pace for the mile repeats on tap. The miles were not meant to be huge stretch miles, but just to get some turn over on the flat to mix it up from the hill work.
39, 42, 41, 39 (so these were all a bit quick, but not overly so)
The brain was not wanting to do this workout, but once I got rolling into it the topic was just a matter of knocking things down. Physically, this was not a hugely taxing workout. I think I just wanted to sleep in instead.
Tried to make these true miles by backing up the 9 meters from the four laps. The third interval was a bit longer as I needed a bio break (and hence I started that one on the top of the straight versus the curve). So 5:51, 5:52, 5:52, 5:50 with 2 minutes rest (except the third).
Then did 4 x 200 with a 200 walk in between each (36, 35, 35, 34).
Jogged a warm down to bring it in a 10.6 miles.
So, the good news is that I did what I was supposed to even when I felt like a piece of dead wood.
=====
I hear this crud all the time. I am sure I say about half of them all the time as well. Literally.
I worked at the Daily Camera for a little over a year shortly after moving to Colorado. It was a wild place to work – downtown in Boulder, putting out 50000 units every night, keeping it all together from an IT side … and no lack of characters. Recently I became aware of two deaths of people I worked with there. One was a guy I worked with in the IT department (and then he later lived on my street when we lived in Erie) and the other was the editor over the sports department Dan Creedon. RIP guys.
"hunger pains" is acceptable.
ReplyDeleteHaving experienced them, I'd agree.
DeleteOn a local level, Westminister can not be beat. I burst out laughing every time I hear it, regardless of whether or not I think they are joking.
ReplyDeleteSo is it YOU-RAY or OOH-RAY?
Delete