Friday, October 3, 2014

Friday 100314

Was able to sneak in one more run with #GOM crew before heading off to Europe.  Always highly intelligent, articulate, and serious discussion with those guys.  Lucho called out the workout – 20 on the diagonals.  Different than the longer intervals or tempos I have been doing so challenging.  Clearly hitting some top end stride stuff.  12 miles.

KZ had an XC race today.  A couple of days ago she tweaked something in her hip during a workout, but finished the workout.  But then during the warm down, it flared up and she was pretty concerned.  She took the last few days down, in hopes that it would clear for the meet today.  It felt less than great at the start, but she decided to give it a shot.  I could clearly tell by the first mile she was working with a bad wheel.  By a mile and a half she was going out the back and barely running, instead seriously gimping. 

She wanted to finish the race, but she also knew that any chance at having a good race was gone, and continuing to run on it would be more damaging.  I had told her before the race if she was gimping, she needed to step off.  She did not want to, but looked at me and I gave her the nod that it was okay.  It was a pretty sad and emotional moment for her.

Of course we can all relate – but none of us want to hear it in that moment – particularly the first time with injury.  Why did the injury happen?  Why couldn’t it happen next week?  I was not even sweating or breathing hard!  I don’t want to talk to or see people on the team – they will think I am a quitter.  Crap, is that the coach.  I don’t want to have him see me like this. 

More lessons for her in running.  While I tried to comfort her, and give the logical view … well I totally got it and I felt sad for her. 

And in the great dog squirrel war – score one big one for the squirrel.  Lucy got her front left paw ripped pretty good.  Some tendons tore in there too.  Surgery required but her frisbee days may well be over.

IMG_2067

15 and change on the day with the jogging around at the XC meet.

2 comments: