Thursday, October 23, 2014

Travel stuff: border control and security

Not eventful flight from Heathrow to Detroit.

Being a somewhat regular traveler, I recognize the differences in airport security, border control, etc.

For example, the US is the only place I know that makes you do this “take your shoes” off thing.  I figure if they don’t make you do that in Tel Aviv, then it is probably not that big of a deal.  I do have some work shoes that I know to take off in those places, like London, because there are lugs in them that will set off the scanner.

Interesting thing about flights to Israel is that you go through security again, right before you get on the flight – even though you went through it to get to the secure area.  They don’t do this on the way out of the country though.  Then again, there are dudes walking around with automatic rifles in the airport.

Heathrow takes your picture everywhere.  As you get into the secure area, and then as you scan your pass to get on the plane, they have you face a mini cam on a pole and have you take a picture.   Some sort of cross check on your face that makes sure that the person who first came in is the same person getting on the bird.  If you are wearing a hat in one, you better wear it throughout or you are going to get stopped.

Some countries are pretty easy to get into when flying in.  France and Ireland have been really easy for me.  I have sometimes gone up and shown my passport and I am not even asked any questions and the agent just stamps it.  The UK usually wants to know how long I will be there, why I am there, what the name of my company is, etc.  Israel has actually asked for a copy of my itinerary for my hotel and some proof of someone at my work requesting that I be there. 

Getting out of Israel has been made a bit easier for me as we get “security letters” from our work.  These are letters that our company HR manages for us that states why we were there, what for, where stayed, etc.  It is not a get free through the airport option, but it moves things along.

When I fly into the US, I usually have to hit an intermediate spot before connecting to Denver (this is as I mostly fly Delta, and Denver is a United hub, not a Delta one).  This means that I come into the CBP area (customs and border control) and go through the first screening without my baggage (other than carry on).  For what it is worth, while I have had Global Entry in the past, it only seems to work about half the time.  And a recent change is that for all US resident citizens is that you use a kiosk to answer the “do you have fruit, did you hang out with cows” questions rather than fill out a paper form.

After you get through that, you then claim your bag.  Up until today, I then walk up to the next CBP, and then get waved on through to put my bag back on a carousel to be sent to Denver.  Since you had access to a checked bag, you have to go through security again, and you better remember to take off your shoes since you are back in the US.

Today however, I was told to follow the blue line.  I came to an agent here that had an additional series of questions for me.  Same sort of stuff, but more detailed.  What company, doing what?  How much money do you have?  You traveled there with your family?  Where are they now?  Any alcohol, tobacco, cigars? (I was asked this last one no less than four times).

And then a full bag search.  He went through both my carry on and checked bags, looking for whatever they look for.  He found nothing but dirty laundry – which I can tell you ain’t pretty smelling after three weeks with running clothes.  That said, I am sure he has seen worse.  After about 10 minutes of this I was free to go (with the then re-check of the bag and the security again).

It also seemed to me that there were a greater number of agents at this entry point today – and I wondered if it was about the ebola freak out.  Two sniffing dogs in the area as well.

Of course, after this blog post I will probably get stopped more often.  Maybe even after flights.

Today’s listening

1 comment:

  1. Having been through security more times than I really care for, I always thought the "take your shoes off" thing was status quo...until two weeks ago. Flying out from Orlando back to Denver, we were told to not take our shoes off. In fact, we were told to hurry it up and made it even more stressful. I don't know if it was because there was a service dog that was sniffing our junk, or if it was because we just got off the Disney Express bus. Either way, it was "fun" when you have a 2.5 yr old not wanting to put his shoes back on...

    ReplyDelete