Thursday, October 9, 2014

Thursday 100914 rest of the day

We started the day at the “Tower” or the Tower of London.  Amazing place.  They are currently filling the moat with some 888 thousand plus poppy replicas in memory of the Empire’s losses in WWI. IMG_2237IMG_2238IMG_2239
The original castle started again some thousand years ago.  It has been the ruling seat of London, the mint, a museum, a torture chamber, a dungeon, the place of many beheadings, an armory … you name it.
IMG_2241
The Beefeaters – these guys make the show.  Keepers of historical facts, twisters of legends, and quick with a quip and poke at Yanks, Brits and everyone else in good fun.IMG_2242IMG_2244
Tower bridge, not too far away.
IMG_2245
KZ posing in a guard house.
IMG_2247
An actual guard as this can be used as a royal residence, but they also house the crown jewels here.  No pics of that and they might shoot you if you try.IMG_2253
We took the boat up the river to Westminster.
IMG_2259IMG_2269
The child must Snap Chat.  Last time I was here, that was the hotel we stayed at (yes the once county building).  It probably helped that we were travelling with higher ranked folks in the company.
IMG_2277
Lunch selfie.  Just before this we got soaked as we walked by the House of Parliment.  It went from just sort of spitting to drenching us in three minutes.  We hid out in one of the overhangs at Parliment.IMG_2279IMG_2278
We hit Westminster Abbey for the (free) Evensong service.  Pics are not allowed but I snapped a couple before I saw that sign. 
IMG_2282IMG_2283
The singing in the halls by the choir was … well, exactly what you expected it to be but nonetheless beautiful and amazing.  Of course about three minutes before it started, JZ needed to hit the can.  Okay – no sweat.  But at Westminster Abbey this is what it looks like above the bathrooms.
IMG_2281IMG_2280IMG_2284

Back to the hotel on the District Line.  The kids run it now like it is old hat.

I was commenting to TZ tonight that a lot of folks talk about how small they feel in the Grand Canyon, or the San Juans.   I don’t feel that.  I feel that those spots are grand and epic, but I can’t say I feel small next to them.  I do have a feeling of smallness however in these man created places.  I guess it is because I can’t fathom creating a Grand Canyon.  I can fathom the level of effort, in some incorrect regard, as to what it takes to put the Saturn 5 together, or to build the Tower of London or Saint Pauls or Westminster Abbey.  And I suddenly feel stupid for not being able to get a sprinkler head at my home fixed in a more timely fashion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment