Saturday, March 24, 2012

Saturday 032412 SoBo, Bear, Green

Took JV up on his offer for some early morning peaks.  Joining us was 2011 UROY Dave Mackey, 3rd at Chuckanut Jason Schlarb, 3rd at Hardrock Joe Grant, and 10 laps on Green FKTer Homie Prater.

Name dropping?  Yeah, but only to show how I was the anchor for this affair.

Beautiful morning, warmed nicely, great conversation and the trails are in good shape (with perhaps the exception of the section above the SoBo/Bear Saddle heading up to SoBo – that is pretty messy with a mix of ice, and snow that you can drop into hip deep with … plus someone has made a trail that is completely in the wrong direction).

Saw Rob and Laurie Timko at the saddle.  Rob looks skinnier every time I see him.

Pix courtesy of Rob.

 IMG_1938
 

Jeff showed us a new trail being put in above the current Bear Canyon trail.  It is fair to assume this will replace the trail lower to the canyon at some point.  It is some sweet smooth dirt track.

I managed okay.  I was not as strong on the climbs, but that is to be expected given what I have been doing (or rather not doing).  I rolled my right ankle a touch on the Mesa but nothing horrible.

13 miles, 4185’ of vertical (Towhee, Shadow, SoBo, Bear, GreenBear, Green,  the new trail that is being put in above Bear Canyon, Bear Canyon, Mesa and Bluestem)

image

10 comments:

  1. Always love playing rabbit! Laurie wants to know why you didn't say she looks skinnier...you just got put on the sh*tlist my friend! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to have a lot of confidence in your garmin to report that many significant digits of elevation gain ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you show those third place bums your second place Boulder 100 trophy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob - I try to keep a policy of not commenting on fellow runners hot wives.

    NMP - it is close enough for me. There are only two ways I calculate elevation and that is with the GPS, and the other is mathematical for treadmill runs. I realize it is probably not super correct, but I think it is as correct as the mileage and as correct as baro measurements.

    Brownie, I would have but I am still scarred from the fact that there were only three people in that race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think you missed my point...I was referring to those last 5 feet you report!

    But yeah, I figure within 10% is probably about right for elevation based on GPS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, that. Last year I reported to with 10. I decided this year to go within 5. If it is 1-4 the last digit, I bring it down to the 10t. If it is 5-9 I round it to the fifth. Today was 7.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NMP, I'm with you on the sig figs! Kind of a science nerd technicality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For elevation maybe, but 11.00 miles is always cooler than just 11.

    Most sites/apps have elevation correction available, which I use. But gain/loss for uncorrected tracks accumulates into a lot because of the number of up/down errors (assume +-15 feet every 3 seconds for n hours).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeff - I think that is the point of the elevation correction software / plug ins? It smooths those aberrations?

    ReplyDelete
  10. GZ - Yes, it serves to correct error (ideally anyway), and I'd say on balance it appears to work. i.e. I used to get what seemed like exaggerated gain numbers before I turned the elevation smoothing on (on GarminConnect.com).

    Of course, it also depends on the terrain. If the terrain is flat, the deviations in the recorded GPS data will probably exaggerate gain. However if the terrain is irregular, the software smoothing might actually reduce the reported gain by smoothing over the little ups and downs in the actual trail too much. Take your pick. I guess I put more stock in the map data they use for the smoothing.

    ReplyDelete