Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tuesday 032012

Wow.  Gonna take me a bit to get through that.



Slept horribly last night.  Not sure why.

Anyone have the skinny on who got into Mount Washington?  I did not register for the lottery, but sort of interested to see the entry list.

I had an Achilles issue like the one I am grappling with now also in March 2009 and it sort of just went away.  I did some icing of it then, so I probably ought to do some of that. 

While I was not sleeping I did some poking around on what my prior March months have looked like, and to some extent what my years up until this point have looked like.  I had a little assumption that what I have done before can, to some extent, predict my progress or success for the future.  My mileage thus far this year actually represents pretty close to what I have done in 2010, (I ended March that year with close to a 1000 miles for the year), and what I did in 2011 (ended that month with about 920 miles on the year). 

I am at 812 coming into today.  So, I will probably come in around 900 and some change. 

So, I am thinking that the assumption might be incorrect.  I mean, all the winter training sets up for something, but the next 12 weeks are probably a better indicator as to how I perform later in the summer.  And I think more and more, for me, performance is really about race day execution, and … the mindset on race day. 

More on this to come.  Sort of related is Sean’s post today.

Crazy work day, the lack of sleep, musical for KZ, soccer for JZ, scouts, only edged 30 minutes, 4 miles.  Beat.

5 comments:

  1. I would read Kilian's opus if it comes out in whatever passes for Cliff Notes in Catalonia.

    If NASA starts up PBS-style pledge drives, I would contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not gonna tell you what you should do with the Achilles, given the lawnmower issue, but my experience has always been that reduced mileage, icing and running on flats help the problem clear up. Running fast and running uphill will only make it worse. Also, 2009 was a long time ago, bro. With the years comes the need for greater attention to patiently healing injuries. Used to be if I had an injury I could slap some ice on it and was good to go the next day (with a few notable exceptions). No more.

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wyatt - you joining the section one CT party on Sunday?

    Jeff - NASA needs a bake sale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GZ: I heard Brownie was doing it. When is everyone meeting and where exactly is the start and how long? I think I heard 34 miles. Are you definite?

    Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unless my grizzle pops entirely, I am expecting to be there. I may not do the full 34 though.

    ReplyDelete