Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tuesday 031312

More Spring Fever.

IMG-20120313-00058

High Plains trail.  This ain’t your Appalachian Trail “Green Tunnel.”  I started out feeling pretty good.  But then I got thirsty.  And I had not brought water.  No biggie really when it is 35 degrees out.  I felt it in the last 45 minutes given it was north of 70 today, with a nice moisture wicking breeze.

Listened to a Mackey interview today.  Lots of chatter about a fuel drink Dave takes on the run, his shoes … and not so much on his training.  I get it, but I rather hear about the 2 hour runs.  Homie gets some chatter in there though (along with JV)

Watch this guy.  Well, and this guy.  And this guy.  And this guy too.

Some of my blogging appetite seems to have dried up a bit (after 4 years).  Might just be spring seasonal disorder.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the listen GZ. We caught a little flack on that one, but hopefully some will appreciate the nutrition/fueling tips Dave provided. His caloric intake sounded insane, if true. My stomach would never sustain that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the blogging disinterest. It's just not as much fun when you don't have high mileage and great workouts to share. I'll probably close up shop in a few weeks, but can't imagine a blogosphere without Hang Nine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim - keep up the good work man - I envy what you are doing in the podosphere.

    I question if a gut can take a 1000 calories an hour - regardless of the osmolity, but I am not a scientist in that arena. I get that some guys can keep the effort low enough and they have an iron enough gut that they can take more (say 600) but 1000? I don't buy that at this point.

    Anyway, I need to chat that up with Dave at some point.

    And by the way, Dave nearly NEVER talks about his training. He is perhaps the most underspoken guy about it. I have been out for a run with him dozens of times and getting him to talk diddly about what he does for workouts is more challenging than running the Pikes Peak double.

    So no surprise that you guys didn't get him to chat that up much either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sort of feel like running blogs run the course of running mags. After a while you can only take another 5k training plan or read about how many miles so and so ran this week.

    Justin, I really used to like your blog in the early days, but most of the content I enjoyed about it has moved to other places (RT, runcolo). I enjoy your perspective on the whole scene and hope you still continue in that format.

    Overall, I am not really a big blog fan. I feel it takes the fun out of actually running with people you don't know since you already seem to know everything about them. GZ, although your blog is one I enjoy reading, I think I have met you like twice and know way more about you than I probably should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Todd, that's kinda funny. The one time I met you, I felt like you expected me to have a bunch of crazy stories to share on the run and I let you down when I wasn't as exciting as my blog used to indicate! I recall you dropped me on the downhill route back to the car, must've been too boring!

    My RT MUT recaps will continue. That's paid, so can't take that back to blogging. Supposed to write a piece on Riddle (and an Olson piece should go up any day now), but planning to limit it mostly to the recaps for a while. I gave up the RunColo stuff at the beginning of the month when work got busy. That was paid too, but less so, and made it easier to step away from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thing I like most when I take a day off of running is not having to blog about it. I tried the weekly digest, but I find that even more tedious and if others are like myself, it goes largely unread, or just skimmed for something pertinent or insightful (rarely if ever the case on my blog).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, another podcast to listen to...while I enjoy most of them this is starting to get a bit out of hand!

    Todd - I am not starting a blog any time soon so we will always have plenty to discuss since we don't know what each other are up to. Sorry I missed chatting with you post Salida...

    GZ & Justin - Keep up the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick - all I need to know about you is that you are "the cute little guy who brought bread to our house" when I had the party post the 100. My wife's description. See if you get invited again.

    Justin - Todd, so I say that yesterday and I have yet another post up and pending for today. I will admit some of this is self serving, "hey look at me" ego at play. I started it in part to put a log out there and to hold myself accountable. I am not sure I need to do it for that any more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess that means you are going to do another 100...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have considered going back to the Boulder 100 actually. Even better would be 24 hours on the track here in Broomstock.

    ReplyDelete