Wahoo … Spring! Can ya’ feel it?
Happened to be in Boulder today, and with the gorgeous weather I took advantage of about an hour window I had. Decided to continue to ride the vertical train, and so jumped on Sanitas (after coming from the south over Red Rocks). I took the back route down and off it, into Sunshine Canyon. Great way to assure you see 20 minutes per mile for part of your run, and sub sixes for another part. 7 miles with 1700 plus of climbing. Very different than yesterday as it was STEP UPS, and several sections over 30 percent.
My climb up Sanitas was hardly stellar (22 minutes! – far off my best which is just under 18!) but I was not looking to tag it … yet. I was working plenty with the climb. Plenty of work to do, but I was enjoying seeing that today.
I had a coworker ask if I had ever done Running of the Green (as that race was yesterday). I had to grin at this memory.
I did that race somewhere in the early 2000s, maybe 2002. After two years of getting back into running shape after moving here, my times were getting better. I’d write down goals, and they would come. It would be work, but I rarely had big failures. I had done that entire thing over the winter, where I was convinced I was going to get it ON this next year. I had recently run under 16 for 5k, so I had somehow convinced myself that extending that to 7k was the next natural step. I was somewhat disillusioned, as I can recall that I actually occasionally dared to think that I could run under 2:22 for the marathon at some point and make the trials. Yeah … good stuff.
To make this particular race even more dramatic, some friends of mine suggested that I ought to jump in the “A” race there (they had one at that time). As they say, “with friends like these” The Bolder Boulder used to have such a thing and I knew much better than to get into that affair, but some A or invite races were not of the same standard. Sure – I wouldn’t win the ROTG A race, but I was more interested in a fast time. I made the necessary calls, got into the race and was set to go.
Not so long story made even shorter … the gun went off and I was off the back of the chase pack almost immediately. I tried to hang on and still blew up. I don’t recall being chicked, but I think I was second or third to DFL in the men’s race. Nothing like running like that in front of a crowd in Denver who is drinking it up on St. Patty’s day. Yeah, I heard it. Ugh.
And oh yeah, fast time? Nope … I think I wrote down that I wanted to run under 22 minutes (about 3:08 a kilo or just over 5 minutes a mile). I think I ran something over 23.
Good lesson though.
Awesome back up to yesterday! I'm going to plan an assault on Sanitas in the next few weeks. My workout today had that in mind.
ReplyDeleteThose step-ups headed up Sanitas are always a rude awakening the first few times out! Time to start doing those on a regular basis now.
ReplyDeleteHoly verticalness! Good PP training :).
ReplyDeleteROTG is one of my favorite races; I just love the Irish spirit and looking across the sea of runners and see nothing but green. Maybe it's the Irish in me, I doubt you saw the same thing when you ran it. Haha. I think I ran it 3 minutes slower this year than pre-injury. Pathetic!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSanitas is on the list for the next few weeks. Looks like nice vert.
ReplyDeleteWyatt
So Wyatt,is Sanitas on the list for the next few weeks?,just curious.
ReplyDeleteProbably Randy. It looks like nice vert.
ReplyDeleteWyatt looks to be up for multiple laps. I fully endorse such behavior.
ReplyDeleteSanitas is a good vert test, with it gaining 1250 feet in about a mile and a quarter (so about 18% grade on average). It is not a constant grade - with several sections pretty shallow and very runnable, and others steep with the step ups grading at near 30 percent for 200 yards.
KJ apparently has the FKT ... http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=west&action=display&thread=25 ... with a low 14. Frankly anything sub 17 is fast and anything sub 16 is VERY VERY FAST.
However, I would warn that excellence (or lack thereof) on this course does not predict performance on other courses. a 33 minute 10k road guy might only be able to muster a 18 minute slog on this course, while a 16 minute Sanitas runner might only be able to run 38 minutes on the road. Very different fitnesses.
Not sure why my comment posted three times. Strange.
ReplyDeleteWyatt
Wyatt - your punishment is three laps on Sanitas. ;)
ReplyDeleteOught to be no problem post all that Incline work you have been doing. Let me know when you are heading there.
GZ: Planning to hit the Incline and Barr next Sunday (as in Sunday, 3/25). I'll connect with you as we get closer to confirm. I'm not in as good a shape as you are but I'll try to keep up if you are up for joining me. Maybe we could just meet at Memorial Park for the Incline Club run.
ReplyDeleteWyatt
I did Sanitas yesterday. At the top, as I was about throwing up, 2 60+yr old women just tagged it. I asked them how they did. It was a minute faster than me....and it was their second time that day. I never wanted to push 2 old ladies off a mountain so much in my entire life.
ReplyDelete