Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thursday 032212

Headed out for my afternoon run and fell in that 8:20 pace.  I started that crap of feeling sorry for myself, telling myself that my legs were heavy, and that I needed to run easy.  My Achilles was not bad but I was monitoring it.   It was teeing up well for another slog run.  I headed out on the shoulder path of the local irrigation ditch.  This is a place where I run frequently to start my runs, and I hardly ever see any other runners on it.

But lo!  Who is that coming the other way?  It is Greg Weich (Broomfield HS XC and track coach, master who recent won the Master’s category at the AZ marathon running a high 2:35) and one of his athletes.  I know Greg a bit and joined him and suddenly fell into a sub 7 pace, while comfortably chatting about whatever.   As we headed back towards the HS, Greg and I dated ourselves:  two motorcycle cops drove by and I hummed the CHiPs theme.  We had to explain it to the kid, who thought it was a pretty bizarre sounding idea for a television show.

After getting back to the HS, I left Greg (no desire to be “that old guy” running on the outer lanes of the track during the HS zoo that was track practice with GnR blasting in the background despite Greg’s invite) and continued my run.  Now I was easily running sub 7:30, comfortably and happily.  Lesson (re)learned:  running with people helps more than you think, running is more mental than you think.

Otherwise … Blog list web part is fixed. 

Not on my list to do, but sort of look at this nuttiness with a shocked interest.

9 comments:

  1. Good lesson. Had a similar type of run recently while running with a friend at a much faster pace than I would have on my own. Just would not want to get sucked into it regularly.

    You should have hit the track! If it's GnR, it bridges the generation gap...especially 'The Spaghetti Incident'.

    Barkley + Badwater = slim to nil desire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post and solid reminder of how much performance depends on the muscle between the ears.
    You didn't want to be that guy jogging along air guitar-ing 'Welcome to the Jungle' in the outside lane? Weird...lol
    Outside the running scene, but did you happen to catch the short films Outside magazine was screening on their website last night? Unbelievable stuff on freeclimbing and alpining. Amazing mental strength, just otherworldly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason P., my partner for transrockies, is a fun run finisher at Barkley. To put it in perspective he says the fun run is harder than Hardrock. Keep in mind that he is excellent at orienteering so that is not much of an issue for him. He has offered to get me in...i'm sure he could pull some strings for you to have a go at it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. FatDad - those are over here? http://www.outsideonline.com/featured-videos/film-and-trailer-videos/trailers/First-Ascent-Trailer.html

    I will check those out this weekend.

    NMP - not for me. I don't have the itch to crack myself against different events, or to extend myself in that same way that so many in the ultra world seem to tend to. I have it a bit, but I am a bit more inclined to go back to events I have done before and see what I can get out (more) out of those.

    Derrick - yeah, old hairy bald guy with a tattered cotton tank top and euro split running shorts and a bandanna ... not really what the kids need to see. I am sure the cops would have been called.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess if I missed the Sender Films, I missed it ..http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/climbing/Sender-Films-Screening.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homie could win Barkley... Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I certainly have no intention of heading to Barkley myself!

    I agree on the appeal to do events multiple times to see what you can do, but at the same time there is some appeal of doing something new. UTMB is that way for me now - would love to go back and see what I could do again but if I am going to spend the money would rather go somewhere else to race.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great lesson GZ. It happened to me twice in the last month. Once with a HS XC coach (coincidence???) and another with a 5000m winner at the USATF regionals. Both runs, I was mentally not into it and they both broke me down mentally and physically in getting a better run in. Wish I ran with others more often...solid post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. JV - Homie could finish Barkley. Wait. That is saying the same thing I guess.

    NMP - I have some interest in going to other places and checking things out, but it leaves a lot open ended. For example, I am glad I did Imogene, but I wonder what else I could have done there if I had gone back. I guess I am less a interested in the one and done ... generally.

    Justin - it does not have to be a top guy either, right? Run with your buddies who will keep you honest and the run is a lot more effective.

    ReplyDelete